Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2014, 09:06 AM

Just in case it helps anybody...

So we've been having mega freezing weather here in America as a horrible front runs through the country, freezing everything in sight.

One of my neighbors had a pipe (water supply pipe) in her house freeze and break because of this. Very messy and expensive to deal with! Not to mention the lack of water until it is fixed.

To prevent this (or help prevent this) simply turn a tap or two onto a drip. Only a little drip, don't want to waste any more than you have to and you can catch the water and water indoor plants etc. if you'd like.

Do this during weather that is below freezing. This will keep water running through your pipes and will keep your pipes from freezing/cracking.

We have always done this and all our pipes have been completely fine and we have not had any horrible issues like our neighbor. I think that it works 100% but if not... it sure does help.

I'm not sure it gets that cold where everyone else is... or if your houses are wired that same as ours, but just in case this might help, I thought to post it before I left
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-01-2014, 11:12 AM
That's a good tip thank you Myra

Please don't send your cold weather over here
We already have gales and floods and could end up with the country becoming one big skating ring
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2014, 11:31 AM
You're welcome for the tip. Also, I will try to hold onto this weather and not send it to you guys!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2014, 12:43 PM
Cheers Myra
Seriously think we have all that to come!!
It's been stormy and very wet,causing mayhem in some places reckon the big freeze will be here soon
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Cheers Myra
Seriously think we have all that to come!!
It's been stormy and very wet,causing mayhem in some places reckon the big freeze will be here soon
I don't 'seriously' think the UK has the TEMPERATURES being experienced in parts of the US to come Lacey!

Have a little read of this!

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2014/...n-southern-us/

And from ibn live
The US cold snap outdid freezing weather in Almaty, Kazakhstan, where it was minus 8F (minus 22C), Mongolia at minus 10F (minus 23C) and Irkutsk, in Siberia, at minus 27F (minus 33C).
Brrrrrrrrr!

What we have had (courtesy of the US apparently lol!) is monster waves at Lands End "loosely connected to the weather system that caused the U.S winter storm"

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ather-21430866
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2014, 12:47 PM
AGHHHHHHHHHHH! Tang, please don't remind me!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I don't 'seriously' think the UK has the TEMPERATURES being experienced in parts of the US to come Lacey!

Have a little read of this!

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2014/...n-southern-us/

And from ibn live

Brrrrrrrrr!

What we have had (courtesy of the US apparently lol!) is monster waves at Lands End "loosely connected to the weather system that caused the U.S winter storm"

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ather-21430866
Course not I meant we have our winter still to come,ya noggin!!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Ahh I see Lacey! So just how much later does winter start in Ireland? It's already winter in the UK! (I know coz I've just left it behind there!)

The weather was truly DREADFUL. I've never been so glad to get back to the sunshine. Jen's roof leaking into the kitchen. Trees and garden structures down at my sister's place.

As for Somerset where Mart lives - arghhh! (Again!)

And it was just CRAZY. Set off to walk Munchy holding my hat over my ears and vowing not to be out long - step onto what looked like autumn leaves and sink 6 inches into water! Ten minutes later, wind dropped, sun out and I'm ripping off my scarf, hat and undoing my coat!

Piccie here of me and Jen day before Xmas Eve. She left home without a coat as we'd mainly be in huge stores. Weather took a turn for the worse and even I (in coat, scarf, boots and the lot) got soaked to the skin in 5 minutes flat - just walking from one store to the next and waiting for a cab. Mart insisted we had our pic done by this tree - the wind was so strong it removed all my wrinkles lol!

Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2014, 01:20 PM
Love that pic,looking good Mrs P!! poor JEN,I love my layers
Weather here has been exactly the same,gales,flooding in some parts,constant rain Not today though its lovely I'm talking frost,snow,airports at a standstill that kinda thing,really think its on its way
We had snow in April 2 years ago,was it
Summer was unbelievable couldn't have asked for better
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-01-2014, 02:20 PM
That is a good tip and something I do.

The coldest I can remember here in Scotland was -24C and our pipes froze because we didn't have central heating.

Fortunately I caught it quick and knew the frozen point would be at the right angled bend in the water pipe in the kitchen behind an air brick.

Open tap and few mins with the hair dryer on the pipe was enough to get it running.

It's the ice 'expanding' that bursts pipes so If your pipes do freeze it's still worth opening the tap.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >