Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 07:00 PM

should i give supplements?

hi,this is a bit long so really sorry i have a staffy who is allergic to pork soya cowsmilk oats,maize all of these have been tested by a blood test from the vets and despite being told by a pet food company who will remain nameless that the allergy tests are often incorrect i know they are right as i avoided the things on the list and she is fine.i now have a little pup who is showing similar signs of allergy and he is remaimning on a diet of white rice and chicken breast for the time being until we resolve the allergy issues.the thing is because he is a pup,should i supplement his food and if so what with?i am concerned he may miss out on something vital to aid his growing.thanks
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-05-2005, 07:29 PM
I don't think supplements are necessary, provided he is eating 3 or 4 meals of chicken and rice daily, hope it all works out for you.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 08:02 PM
hi there, i would suggest you put him on a hypoallergenic diet, some of these are: burns, james wellbeloved, arden grange, nature diet etc, u can find these on the internet by doing a search through google. You will find that they probably wont contain the ingredients that your dogs are allergic to. Its usually the poor quality dog foods which contain such ingredients, such as iams, bakers, pedigree chum etc.

I would suggest that as a long term plan, your pup cannot live off chicken and rice and would suggest you feed him a complete diet.

hope that helps
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 08:43 PM
i have tried jwb as my 4 year old is o.k on this and the pup reacted badly,burns is a no go as it contains oats.nature diet contains maize i beleive and also just lists animal fats so could have traces of pork,also this lists cereals and this normally means wheat and oats.she is o.k on a home made diet and my vet is happy for the pup to be on chicken and rice until we can solve his allergy probs.i have a cat whose allercgic to cat food and is on a prescription diet and i really want the 2 dogs on the same food and unfortunately for the time being it has to be home made until i can find a food that is aagreeable to both.i just wanted to ensure my pup didn't lack anything.thanks for the suggestions though
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Hi Griff like Jenny I would have said try Burns but it does contain some oats..it is mainly rice based and contains very few additive and if you contact them they will send a sample this is the address 'Burns Pet Nutrition'

Other than that I would not add suppliments but would want more variety and would add other things to the diet ..liquidised veg , sardines in oil, egg, white fish, rabbit ,beef

EDITED posted at the same time sorry see you have tried Burns
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 08:53 PM
as far as i am aware nature diet does not contain maize, list animals fats or contain wheat or cereals.

Brown rice is used in preference to wheat, barley or maize, thus avoiding the possibility of gluten related intolerances, which can be a cause for skin and intestinal problems. Brown rice provides carbohydrate energy, vitamins, minerals and natural fibre.
Lamb Min 60%, Carrots Min 8%, Brown Rice Min 15%,Natural ground bone, Seaweed, Minerals, Vit A 1250 iu/kg, Vit D3150iu/kg, Vit E 20 mg/kg
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Hi Griff
Royal Canin do a hypoallergenic food although its very pricey

We tried it when we were trying to see if Gus' licking/itching was food related
Turns out it was and there was a real improvement on this food
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2005, 08:48 AM