View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Schæfer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2005, 06:32 AM

Wants delishious things in her food in order to eat.

Hi all.
I have some trouble getting my girl to eat. She eats some but not at all enough.(She's nine-months-old)
I have heard that this behavior is typical for German Shephards. Have any of you Gsd owners got similar problems?
I have got the advise that I should starve her until she would eat her own food. But I have tried this and the little lady is soo stuborn. She refuses to eat anything and gets skinny in no time and starts to throw up stomach acid.
What do you guys think?
It is ugly to see her when she gets like this. People say to me that I should just keep going until she eats her own food, but I find it extremely difficult to watch.
She'll eat well enough if I put something delishious in the bowl on top of her food, but only if we use different things each other day.
I hope I have explained myself well enough for you to get an idea of the problem. Otherwise just ask.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2005, 06:48 AM
Hi

Have you heard of Hennes Pet Food???

My friend has a GSD, Bella... Bella did not want to eat her food, but now she's on Hennes and she eats every bit...

Its based on fish, so smells a lot, but you buy it in smart bags with ziplocks and that is pretty good to keep the smell in...

I fed Luna on this, but her system couldnt absorb it properly, so she smelled out of her mouth - Bella doesnt, I might add.

Its really good on her coat aswell, as she has a bit of allergy (common in GSD's)

They have a homepage not sure I can put the link on here, so if it is removed, give me your mail address, and I'll send you the link:

http://www.henne-pet-food.dk/

Oooh and if you contact them, you can get a free sample, so you can see if she wanna eat it...
Schæfer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2005, 06:56 AM
Yeah I've heard of Hennes pet food
Haven't tried it though so it is definately worth a try.
The thing is though that I have tried quite a number of brands already.
The first food she got(the one she had been fed at the kennel) made her itch.
The next one upset her stomach and the third one just didn't agree with her in general.
Right now she's fed Royal Canin and this is the first pet food that hasen't brought health issues with it. And it is not so long ago that we switched. That's why I'd prefer that we tried to find a way to make her eat this.
Maybe I should tell you that the first two weeks she is fed a new pet food she'll eat it fine without delishious stuff in there...but then suddenly she loses interest. And it has been this way with all the brands.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2005, 07:03 AM
Hi

Bella was the same... She itched on practically everything. Except Olivers (which she wont eat anymore) or Hennes...

Dont add things... Its a bad start and will only get worse... Cos if you add something now, then in a matter of weeks, she wont eat that, and you will have to add something else.....

I dont really know wot else to say, have you tried drizzling salmon oil (also from Hennes) or Tobisoil over her food???

That would give her a taste of something, and also do her skin a world of good
Schæfer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2005, 07:16 AM
She has tried Oliver's too. That was the one who upset her stomach. And we have given her the fish oil from Oliver's and the first two weeks she thought that was great. But now when I put it on her food she looks like she finds it disgusting.
Thank you for trying to help us.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-05-2005, 07:17 AM
I agree with Jeanette. A little something tasty added occasionally is fine, but if you keep doing this in order to tempt her to eat then you will just become a slave to her appetite. Put her food down. Give her 10 minutes to eat it. If she doesn't eat it pick it up and give her nothing else (no treats, bones, chews, biscuits, etc.) until her next scheduled mealtime. A healthy dog will not starve itself. If she is medically fit then she is just trying it on with you. She has learned that her refusal to eat will make you feel guilty enough that you will entice her with extras. Harden your heart and learn to be more stubborn than she is If she is on dry food then you can try moistening it with water, nothing else.
Schæfer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2005, 07:22 AM
Yeah that's the thing I've tried to do.
She has been to the vet and she said everything was fine.
Never the less she'll refuse to eat for 5-6 days straight and at that time she's so thin and seems so tired and then I so far have given in.
Do you think it is me who's too soft? Should I just keep going?
I'll ask the vets advice too and see what she says.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2005, 07:25 AM
Bella did have Hennes once before and ate it for months (she was only switched cos my friend wanted us to feed the same, which she now has realised is impossible) so if SB's advice doesnt work, I would suggest switching her over.

I've sent you a pm in danish, thought it might be a bit easier
Schæfer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2005, 07:27 AM
Okay thanks to both of you for listening to me
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2005, 07:27 AM
That's why we are here

Oh u should see some of my questions