View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honey123
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2010, 08:11 AM

My 5 month puppy is constipated? What to do?

Hi all,

my shih tzu has been circling the garden for 1/2 hr trying to poo this morning but nothing coming out!

I have been reading about this and pumpkin has been suggested so was going to buy some now but didnt know what quantity to give a 5 month puppy?!

Does anyone know how much pumpkin to give and any other remedies - will get bran too!!!

Thanks in advance,

Honey's mummmy
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2010, 08:24 AM
I usually give codliver oil tablets if mine get constipated. i would give 2 for a small dog.

what are you feeding? are you up to date with worming and what you using?

ATD x
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2010, 10:04 AM
I have a thought this is something that happened to our shi-tzu a couple of times, have a look at your pups bottom and see if there is any hair actually stuck over the anus preventing him pooing, it can be easily snipped off.If this straining carries on and he is distressed I would ring your vet for piece of mind

hope all goes well

jeanette
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Please don't give your puppy pumpkin or cod liver oil. Constipation isn't common in dogs and often it is a symptom of something serious including a bowel obstruction. In such a case, a laxative can cause more trouble, even death. Just because somebody else got away with it, doesn't mean your dog will survive it. Call the vet.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2010, 11:33 AM
I would personally get your vet to do a check (once you have checked for hair as above) . Fudge struggles with this sometimes and last time it was a problem with anal glands and compacted poop. The vet emptied the anal glands and did a rectal examination and 30 minutes after coming home she filled 6 poo bags! Since then we have switched to a salmon based food and add bran to the food. Luckily everything has been fine.Remember the straining might make her sore so better sooner rather than later as passing painful stools will make her hold on and can make the problem worse.

Good luck.

Feel free to pm me if you want.
honey123
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Update:

Got home to find a clump of poo and hair stuck over her bum! I removed this clump, cut some hair from around the bum and hey presto Honey pooed (and ate it). Ah well, 1 out of 2 aint bad

Thanks for all your replies