View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2006, 11:58 PM

how to act/do when you first bring pup home?

I have been wondering this for a while, when i first bring a pup home, how do i act, or what do i do? do i fuss? leave it to look around? feed it?.......list is endless!

i read that i should take it for a walk to calm it down first before coming into the house, and take it striaght into the garden for a wee..........

any other tips please?
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-11-2006, 12:12 AM
When we brought Storm home we put him down and let him explore his new environment, we also tried to be as calm as possible as we knew he was going to be scared and nervous the first couple of days. That has differed with our other dogs as we had the older ones to consider.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 01:36 PM
I did post this else where but i think it was in the wrong place!

I have been wondering this for a while, when i first bring a pup home, how do i act, or what do i do? do i fuss? leave it to look around? feed it?.......list is endless!

i read that i should take it for a walk to calm it down first before coming into the house, and take it striaght into the garden for a wee..........

any other tips please?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 01:40 PM
You can't really walk it, it won't have had it's puppy jabs....

It will probably just fall straight to sleep! Don't worry about it!

When you get home, put him out for a wee, then bring him in and let him have a wander around at his own leisure.

He will have set feeding times already, so you should stick to this.

Make sure he knows where his bed it, a nice warm secure spot.

Just go with the flow really!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 01:42 PM
I agree with all of Random's suggestions. Try not to worry so much as well

Have you got a puppy book you could read? I may have missed your post, but have you decided which breed suits you now?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Make sure you take him/her our for a wee every 20 mins or so (or after food, after a play session, when they wake up).

They will sleep quite a bit. I was surprised when we got Max at how much he slept in the month or so after getting him (and how often he wee'd)!

We took 2 weeks off work initially after getting him to make sure he settled in... he was never allowed full run of the house when he was tiny though.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Aww this brings back memories

We literally put Roxy on the lounge floor and sat on the floor with her and just let her go round exploring. at the time she was also so small the she sqeezed through the baby gate and went off exploring on her own

Also I know your meant to 'intorduce them gradually' but the cat walked in as normal, and let Roxy have a sniff, then she got her back up a bit and sat and watched Roxy from afar. We took Roxy out with us to try and wee but to be honest after ten minutes of exploring she fell asleep, and was basically asleep for the first two weeks she'd literally get up, have her wee, have a little play, eat her dinner/breakfast/lunch and then go fall back to sleep. Oh how I miss those days now (we also took the first two weeks off of work to settle her in)

Night time we were quite lucky as she was quite through the night once she had settled and never wet herself through the night, we did have a week of me sleeping half in the crate with her though!

Even so every morning we'd find her curled up by the side of the bed, usually on my OH's dressing gown so after that the crate went and we replaced the dressing gown with a few pillows and she slept there everynight. I remember when my OH said to me, "one day she'll be big enough to rest her chin on the bedside" at that time, looking at her, she could barley get her front paws on the side of the bed, I never thought it would happen. Now however she stretches out the entire length of our bed.

And even funnier, she does rest her chin on the side of the bed and waits for us to fall asleep so that she can jump on

Oh the days... How exciting!!!!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Yup, I agree - empty first then show the puppy where bed is so it feels nice and secure.

I know it is the hardest thing in the world but I try to keep things low key so the pup has chance to explore its new surroundings without being too daunted.

After that it is getting the pup used to stuff in the house like TV, Hoover, Washing Machine etc and socialize, socialize!!:smt002
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-11-2006, 02:08 PM
It's good to plan ahead and be prepared, have a think about what rooms you want to give him free access to, preferably ones with mopable floors but that's up to you. Have a think about dog gates to restrict his movements to parts of the house you don't want to give access to, they frequently work better than closed doors. Have you thought about where he/she will sleep, will it be a basket or a crate? Make sure you follow his established feeding routine in the begining as too many changes too soon will only give you grief. Read a good puppy book and relax and enjoy when you finally get your puppy home
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 02:18 PM
ooo all good adavice! oh yeah i guess i cant take him for a walk, i actually read that in a book to!!

We have decided on a GSD, 99.9%!!!

I was thinking a crate, we are moving out of our apartment into a house next year so i wont know where it will really go until we see it!

lots to think about, i guess its like most things until it really happens, you just feel nervous!!

oh yes ive now read 2 pup books, a GSD one and a golden retriver one!! the Dummie sereis, also read about 6 more but i can not rem wat there called!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >