Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RoxanneSS
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2014, 11:53 PM

5 almost 6 weeks pregnant

I have a 5 almost 6 week pregnant Rottweiler, and she dropped big time and her teats are hanging really low, anyways she is being picky about food right now and sleeping in her box somewhat. I told my vet (new) this and she said she needed another scan or an x-ray? I have never done an x-ray before but thinking about getting it done for the fact she is really huge and worried she may not have contractions due to being as the vet said "Both horns are packed and full." Should I do the x-ray and if so when? I know anytime after 50 days. Would post a picture but need to get photobucket first.
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2014, 10:19 AM
Primary inertia is much more likely with a small litter as the puppies dont generate enough movement to get the bitch to produce the correct hormones which promote the contractions.
I expect you now have your hands rather full. Good Luck !
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Scans are better than Xrays in my opinion.

How is she now? Do you know the exact date of mating? I this her first litter?

Please let us know what has happened and how she is.
RoxanneSS
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Her due date is between the 24th and 28th. I have never done x-rays and was uncomfortable when this new vet was scaring me to death about her having a large litter that she may go early and need to do the x-ray to find out exactly how many. This is her second litter, first one was about 2 years ago, she had 8 1.5 to 2 lb puppies then. She is bigger this time round so either they are big puppies or there is more than I am thinking (9-10) She is picking up weight like crazy and not really eating much, I know it is due to not having that much room.
RoxanneSS
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Not yet she is almost week 8.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Mabs had her babies very early, there were 8 of them and she was nearly a full week early.
Lona had 12 in her final litter and she was just a couple of days early.
I always have my girls scanned, the prediction for Lona -bear in mind she had 12 - was 4
the prediction for Mabs was 5 or 6 - she had 8
So its not a reliable process from my experience!!!
RoxanneSS
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-03-2014, 09:57 PM
I think this new vet is just trying to get more money from me, and her scare tatic that my girl wouldn't be able to deliver the pups and would have to an xray to see when to do c-section. I am going to trust my judgement on this and let her be on the pregnancy, if there is issue where one is stuck, I know how to get it out safely. BTW my girl as right now is day 49
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2014, 11:31 AM
I have had a whelping bitch xrayed to ascertain if there was a retained puppy as we could feel a shape - but it turned out not to be a puppy. So I would wait patiently and make a note of any observations - I am sure they will come when they are ready !

I always think that we bitch owners have probably had more practical experience than vets who have more book learning - plus we know our dogs.

Maud
RoxanneSS
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2014, 10:10 PM
My girl that is now 50 days has begun a clear, thick, snotty discharge, and I know it is normal but only in the few days before whelping. I tried to call the vet but they were closed. Any idea why she may be having it so soon.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2014, 10:52 PM
I don't know about dogs but - in human pregnant mums what you are describing is called 'losing the plug' that snotty jelly like discharge. And birth time isn't that long off afterwards.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >