Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nez
New Member!
Female 

01-07-2013, 01:10 PM

Dog running happily, yelped and now cannot walk

Hi from rural NSW.
I am in an isolated rural town in NSW Australia. My boy Freddy, a small cross shitzu maltese, today was running happily, yelped and now cannot walk. I rang the vet immediately and have to wait till tomorrow in the morning to get him there. I am 45 mins away from the vet and worry how much pain Freddy is in.
I know this is not a good introduction, I just love my dog and worry and stress about him, he cannot tell me how much it hurts. He is usually active happy and running around, now he is hobbling and lying on a blanket.
I am a mum that is worried about my boy's pain.
It is nice to be here on a welcome, inviting forum with other like minded dog lovers.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Hi and welcome to Dogsey. Oh dear your poor dog. Is it that the vet cannot fit you in before tomorrow morning or that you are unable to travel there until then?

If it's that he didn't have an appointment I'd be ringing him again and laying it on a bit thick about how worried you are.

Has your dog let you have a really good examination to find out which foot and what it might be?

There could be something lodged in a paw that could turn nasty by tomorrow. Doesn't take long for infection to set it if the skin has been broken. And there's not always blood if the foreign object is still in there.

I really would want to see a vet asap but I am guessing that just soaking in warm salt water won't further harm anything. Or, if you can see a wound, putting something like Savlon on it.

But you could get the vet to at least SPEAK to you and ADVISE you what to do in the meantime. I doubt you'll get much sleep tonight otherwise.

** editing to say you can repost this on one of the other relevant forums - dog health or something where you are likely to get more response than here in the Welcome Forum.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-07-2013, 01:19 PM

I am sorry to hear that poor Freddy has hurt himself and do hope the vet can sort him out. In the meantime

Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Hi and welcome to you and Freddy and I'm sorry your inrto to here is under such stressful circumstances.

I too would give your dog a full examination to see what is actually causing the pain - which paw, leg or shoulder. Is it possible little Freddy has been bitten by a snake or spider? Is he still accepting food and drink - drink is imperative to stop him getting dehydrated even if you have to syringe it into his mouth or spoon it in. I've just realised that as I type this you are approx 10 hours ahead of us and therefore about 1.30 in the morning so your vet probably isn't at the end of a telephone. Hopefully it will be nothing more than a strained muscle and with rest overnight he will be safe until you can get him to your vet.

Do keep us informed as to how you and little Freddy get on in the morning and everything crossed that he'll be OK and make a quick recovery. (((hugs))) you as you are clearly so worried about your little guy.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 07:16 AM
What news of little Freddy? I do hope he is OK.
nez
New Member!
Female 

02-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Hi everyone and thank you for the wonderful welcome. I took Freddy to the vet today and found he has a luxating patella and is now on strict movement restriction for 2 weeks and then the vet will see if surgery is required. I will do anything for my boy but will research a lot online to see if any natural remedies may help as well. My poor boy has to be carried outside for toileting and is just lying on his bed, he had a pretty traumatic day today.
Thank you again for a great welcome.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 12:02 PM
I think you may find some info on the op if you put 'luxating patella' in the 'search' section at the top right of the page. Also this may be interesting: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...-pet-dogs.aspx
I hope your little fella settles down over the next few days of 'bed rest'. Keep us informed.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 06:01 PM
How absolutely rotten for you and your boy.......You sound like a very caring owner, and therefore will do everything necessary to get him sound and happy again.

Good luck, and please keep us updated on his progress. We worry otherwise!!
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2013, 08:58 PM
What a shame - poor Freddy - but you did the right thing in getting him to the vet as soon as you could.
Sending good wishes for a speedy recovery and hugs to you both xx
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2013, 12:50 AM
I'm glad you now know what the problem is. And that it is not an unusual problem.

And I hope you continue to use the site in the future and keep us updated.

You sound like a lovely dog 'owner' and I do feel for you with your poor lovely dog suffering.

You will get a lot of support on here.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >