Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-07-2013, 10:57 AM

I suddenly have a stinky doggy....

I don't know how bad the smell was over the weekend as I was with my parents but OH said it was horrific and he had to spray her with dog perfume and the whole house with air freshener.

Today, I don't think it's THAT bad but I have hay fever so my sense of smell is comprised a little, it's noticeable when close to her though.

I think, but can't be sure, that its coming from her ears.

I have checked her teeth and mouth, all white and smelling fresh.
I groom her twice a day most days and have never noticed any fleas or flea dust in the flea comb nor any dryness, sores, cuts etc.
I don't think it's coming from the 'other' end either although I can't bring myself to get too close to check there

Would cleansing her ears with water and white vinegar be enough or does she need a dose of antibiotics....?
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-07-2013, 11:23 AM
EDIT it is definately the ears.
I just washed my hands then really rubbed my fingers all around her body, parting the hair and brushing against the skin.
No smell on my hands.

Then I rubbed her ear slightly = smell.

She doesn't seem in much, if any discomfort.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Nigredo had those smelly ears recently, too! I was like.. WOW!! He wasn't scratching, shaking his head, or anything else so I didn't bother taking him into the vet. A few days, and it was gone.

Our dogs are the same age... and like you, the ear flap itself is what was stinking, the odor wasn't coming from inside the ear. I'm not sure what caused it, but the smell is gone now and he never displayed any form of discomfort.

His ears was VERY clean and there was nothing wrong with it other than the smell. Maybe it's hormones or something? I doubt that though because Nigredo was neutered before 3 months old...
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Cotton balls with white vinegar and water and have a good wipe in her ears, but think a vet call at least as it may be an infection????
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2013, 12:50 PM
I would recommend a trip to the vet, Mollie had a terrible infection and never let on, it was only when it smelled and vet looked into her ears we realised how uncomfortable she must have been.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I would recommend a trip to the vet, Mollie had a terrible infection and never let on, it was only when it smelled and vet looked into her ears we realised how uncomfortable she must have been.
Agree. My Cavvy had an ear infection (and you could smell it) in just one ear. I wish I'd been more persistent in the beginning instead of trying this, that and the other and all sorts of 'drops' from the vets.

In the end she had a deep clean of the ear done and a course of antibios and it never came back. They did the deep clean while she was under GA for something else as they didn't want to give her another one if they could avoid it.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Oh dear I too would get her checked out at the vet as it will I am sure be an infection causing the smell (not just by having waxy ears). Once you have this infection sorted it may be worth sprinkling a little Thornit into her ears once a month which should prevent any further infections. Do you remove the hair from her ear canal so that air can circulate - if not you can pluck the hair out really easily after using Thornit.

Good luck and hopefully the vet will be able to sort it really quickly. It is also possible that she has a grass seed lodged down the canal but the vet will check for that.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Smelly ears is often a problem with the ears, it can be an infection or mites, much better to take a dog to the vet to make sure.

I have to be careful with Dolly's ears, the air doesn't get into them unless I fold them back, this can cause her to have ear infections. I have a good sniff at them every week or 2, if they smell a little I put either Colloidal Silver or Thornite in them, the smell quickly goes.

I also try and have her ears folded back for about 30 minutes every day.
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Well, I have been cleaning her ears with the vinegar and water and I will wait a few days and see what happens...

I hope everyone doesn't think I'm a terrible owner but I don't know if I can honestly afford the taxi fare both ways, the consultation fee plus the antibiotics at the vet right now.

As I said earlier, she doesn't seem in any discomfort, she's racing round playing with her toys, eating fine, no whining, scratching, shaking etc. seems very happy.

Her ears are not waxy at all, they look very clean but smell!

I don't think I'd want to pluck her hair Jenny, ouch!!!!
That must be very painful surely?!