Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2013, 11:19 PM
We get boosters every year
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2013, 05:36 AM
Our two like our cats have never been vaccinated. Living in remote areas with no contact with other critters, and more and more evidence that the vaccines are not needed etc.
Interesting to see that the tide has turned as even a few years ago , here in Ireland at least, there was a rigidity that you "MUST" vaccinate or you were not fit to own a dog.

Dogs pass freely over the Border here of course
IceCody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-06-2013, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
That is good to hear they are making the vaccs FREE - it is a horrible disease and it's no wonder that the countries that are 'Rabies Free' go to draconian lengths to try to make sure they stay that way.

Cyprus is rabies free too but I still have to get the jabs. I believe Ireland is the only rabies free country that the UK allows dogs to come in from without the requirement for the jab.

*and I did spot that you are not in UK, but in SA, so realised that's why you answered as you did. I'm not in the UK (any more) but am up to date on what the UK rules regs and requirements are as I travel there often and anyway like to keep myself up to date!
Iceland is also rabies free and are not required a rabies shot to go to the uk.
But here you cant import a dog without it going through a month in quarantine.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by IceCody View Post
Iceland is also rabies free and are not required a rabies shot to go to the uk.
But here you cant import a dog without it going through a month in quarantine.
That's interesting. Obviously you don't have an EU pet passport (Iceland not being in the EU). But I know Iceland is one of what they call 'listed countries' that you can bring a dog into the UK from I was not aware they didn't need rabies. Though it may well be the case that Iceland doesn't require it for import from a rabies free country. The UK rules however are the most draconian of all.

Do you have a link showing where it states you don't need rabies vacc for a dog when importing it from Iceland to the UK?

I find that very surprising. Here's all I can find about it for EU and non EU but listed countries:

For pets coming into the UK from the EU or an approved non-EU country:

1) Pets must be microchipped- Always check that your pet's microchip works whenever you go to the vet!.

2) Pets must be vaccinated against rabies after the microchip and hold a current rabies vaccination.

3) 21 days must have passed after the rabies vaccination.

4) Pets must travel with an EU Pet Passport or an Official Health Certificate. If you are getting a 3rd country certificate completed, then it must be endorsed by the necessary authority (this is not the same vet that completes the paperwork).

5) Pets must travel on an approved route with an approved airline.

- This means that there is no longer the requirement for a blood test or for 6 months to pass after the blood test before the pet enters the UK.

6) Dogs only: Must be treated for tapeworms between 24 and 120 hours prior to arrival in the UK. The treatment must be with a licenced product containing praziquantel.

PLEASE NOTE: Pets must travel with supporting documentation- this means:

Proof of microchipping: certificate of registration/ patient notes/ letter from vet.

Proof of rabies vaccination: Vaccination card/ Rabies vaccination certificate - these MUST have the microchip number on or there will be delays.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
My dogs for the past 30 + years have gone to dog shows(including Crufts), dog clubs etc etc etc with no ill effects. I can see no reason to compromise my dogs immune systems. My late father followed the vets directions for many years, until one of his dogs, a previously healthy 8 tear old, had a lepto booster(against serovars not in this country)& within 3 hours was dead from the reaction to the vaccine
Of course, most dogs will probably be fine. However, my pet insurance wouldn't pay out for an illness that I could have got my dog vaccinated for, but didn't.
So for me, at the moment, it makes sense to vaccinate. Also, I didn't know that over here you don't have to vaccinate your dogs to participate in competitions and shows.. I can't remember now, it might have just been the rabies vaccination, as on the continent that's mandatory for dogs.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2013, 11:57 AM
I have mine boostered up to the age of about 8-9 then I stop I believe by then they have enough in their systems to cope. Just my personal choice though everyone has to make their own decisions as it isn't mandatory.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2