View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LiliRay
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2013, 11:41 AM

Weekly Vet trips since I got her! What is wrong???

Since I've adopted Leesi we've been to the vet every week. First visit was for de-worming and vaccinations, the next one for spaying (the spca I got her from is in dire need of funds and they were putting almost 80 dogs down a month so signed an agreement that I'd have this done at my own vet).

After that it was treatment for Giardia.

Then suspected mange and vaginitis (discharge from her vulva). Took a scrape from her ears (nothing showed) and since then we've been stuck with vaginitis for over a month.

The first vet prescribed antibiotics for 5 days and every 3rd day I had to go back so that they could put cream in. She got a bit better but after a week of stopping the antibiotics it was back again. Went back to my normal vet (not the first one) and Here is what the vet said:

A lot of sediment in her urine but no bacteria.
She looked at some tubes (which can go wonky after spaying) they were fine
Her vaginal walls are extremely inflamed.
Apparently her blood work also showed inflammation?
Very high urine PH
"I'm very worried" Probably because of the sediment which means her kidneys are struggling.
No bacteria in the urine or smear of the discharge but why antibiotics then?

So we did all of this and have gone back for weekly check ups and scopes. Did another 2 rounds of antibiotics and cream. We went again on Sunday, vaginal walls are less inflamed and it's looking better.

Thing is my vet doesn't know what is causing this so if this flares up again after the stop the antibiotics today...then what?

She's basically been on antibiotics non stop since she was spayed end of April. Synolox and Flagyl (for the giardia).

Does anyone have any ideas that I can mention to my vet? We're going again tomorrow for another follow up but if this comes back I'm thinking I should go to another vet.

Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 12:39 PM
What age is she?

Vaginitis needs antibiotics to clear it up. Your vet could try a different antibiotic - Synulox is good but there are others. Some infections can take longer than others to clear. One of our bitches was on antibiotics for six weeks with two antibiotic changes before it cleared. Sometimes it appears to occur more often with juvenille bitches. As ours got older incidences of vaginitis got less. Its been couple or more years from
our present bitch had a bout of it. She is now 8.
LiliRay
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
What age is she?

Vaginitis needs antibiotics to clear it up. Your vet could try a different antibiotic - Synulox is good but there are others. Some infections can take longer than others to clear. One of our bitches was on antibiotics for six weeks with two antibiotic changes before it cleared. Sometimes it appears to occur more often with juvenille bitches. As ours got older incidences of vaginitis got less. Its been couple or more years from
our present bitch had a bout of it. She is now 8.
Thanks for the reply Velvetboxers!

Leesi is about 8 months old? Maybe a bit older? Going through a chewing phase now so reckon she's about 8months. When I got her she still had 2 baby teeth so we put her at about 6 months?

I'll suggest to my Vet that for safety sake we try one more cycle of a different antibiotic. Isn't a bad for them though? To constantly be on antibiotics? I do add probiflora to her food and she's fed Acana small breed puppy.

Don't know if this applies but she's also very itchy? She doesn't have fleas or mites (have checked often and I also Frontline her)
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Poor girl has been through a lot so far, really hope she feels better soon xx
LiliRay
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Poor girl has been through a lot so far, really hope she feels better soon xx
It's so sad! The first time they did the scope and injected the cream stuff she got home, tried to wee, cried and stopped. Later that night she really needed to go so I sat outside with her rubbing her head telling her what a good girl she is for weeing even though she cried the whole time. Broke my heart, spent the rest of the evening crying my eyes out.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by LiliRay View Post
It's so sad! The first time they did the scope and injected the cream stuff she got home, tried to wee, cried and stopped. Later that night she really needed to go so I sat outside with her rubbing her head telling her what a good girl she is for weeing even though she cried the whole time. Broke my heart, spent the rest of the evening crying my eyes out.
Don't know if you've ever experienced the human equivalent but its.....painful!!!wish her well xx
LiliRay
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Thanks Eileen *hugs*

In 28 years I've never had a UTI but have heard it DAMN painful. Just wish we could get to the bottom of this and that someone can be like "Ah hah! I know what that is!!!" By putting together some obscure symptom with what she's been experiencing...like a botched spay or something.

Just want my girl to get better! She deserves only the best in life.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by LiliRay View Post
Thanks Eileen *hugs*

In 28 years I've never had a UTI but have heard it DAMN painful. Just wish we could get to the bottom of this and that someone can be like "Ah hah! I know what that is!!!" By putting together some obscure symptom with what she's been experiencing...like a botched spay or something.

Just want my girl to get better! She deserves only the best in life.
You're lovely, she's lucky to have you xx