Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-06-2013, 08:38 AM

Double seizure for Pereg yesterday evening

Pereg started having a Complex Partial [Psychomotor] seizure at about 10.30pm last night, skittering around terrified of things she seemed to think she saw and leaping backwards away from these "things". She was responsive and came to me when called but would not stop for more than a second. I gave her her 11pm Pb and then one of her calming pills but a couple of minutes later she had a full blown and very violent Grand Mal seizure.

Unfortunately she had gotten behind the central pedestal of this table, the back of which is against the wall and the side against some bookshelves [where my computer is] and when she crashed down she was wedged with one back leg either side of the pedestal, her rear end against the computer's UPS and her back against the bottom shelf of the bamboo & wicker bookcase - and the top of her head against the leg of that bookcase and the one next to it, with her front legs wedged against the front wheel of my electric wheelchair.

I had to try to get the chair away from her as she was thrashing so violently, the problem being that I was frightened that the wheel would run over one of her legs - and my chair is extremely heavy. In any case I could not get to her while I was in my chair and cannot get out of it unless I reverse away from the table. But somehow managed and crawled to her and did some ocular compression which seemed to help. The GM lasted nearly three minutes but it was another few minutes before she stopped completely and even then could not get up for a while.

Luckily I had managed to get her out to pee during the Psychomotor seizure so her bladder was empty and this time she did not lose bowel control - I think she had had a poo just before that part of the seizure started.

Anyhow, when she finally managed to get up she staggered over to me and let me wipe her mouth, face and throat from all the horrid thick white froth that poured from her mouth during the GM - also her shoulder where she had arched on it as it pooled on the floor. Baby wipes are magic at times like this.

But then the diabolical post-ictal behaviour kicked in - my arms and legs are scratched badly because she kept leaping at me and grabbing my arms - pacing, making that horrid gimmee half growl, half yip noise. I know that her brain was so mixed up that it told her she wanted food although she was not hungry, but food is the only thing that will stop her for a while, so gave her a bowl full of frozen courgette chunks to try and stop the nagging for food, also help cool her down, then one of her favourite chews but as soon as she finished she started again.

Nearly three hours and 30mg of oral valium [three lots of 10mg] before she finally settled so I could get to bed but she was up and wanting out every hour or so then the alarm went off for her 7am Pb. By that time she did not want to get up, neither did I, so thought we would both catch up on much needed sleep - then the Mei Eden delivery guys turned up at just gone 7.30am even though they know that they are not supposed to come here until 8.30 the earliest. So I had to pull a dress quickly over my nightshirt and go let them in. Fair enough he said they had to start much earlier because of the heat but being woken yet again after just after dropping off to sleep after giving Pereg her pills it was hardly ideal timing for me.

Pereg went out for a quick pee then it was back to bed again. I now feel like I have been hit by a double-decker bus and can hardly open my eyes as they are so swollen from virtually no sleep.

Not even two weeks this time, but at least she did not have another GM during the night - still very much on seizure-watch yet again though.

SIGH
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-06-2013, 08:59 AM
That sounds awful Malka.

I hope she is settled now and no more seizures and you can both have an uninterrupted day for snoozing.
Sounds like you both badly need some rest.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Malka, what can I say, I was so very very worried about how you would manage, somehow you have.
I hope that this is it for a very long time and you get much needed sleep today.
Now the water guys have been you can at least try and get some sleep.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 09:06 AM
((Hugs))Malka and Perag.Hope she remains settled for you today and you both can sleep xx
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Oh no, poor Pereg and you, it must be horrible to feel unable to do anything to help her.

I have everything crossed that she wont have another seizure. It sounds like you both need a good rest.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-06-2013, 09:49 AM
It really was a very bad GM and I was not sure if Pereg would come out of it but the ocular compression does seem to help bring her out - if not fully but at least partially. It was also the first time that she had gone straight into a GM while being conscious, albeit very disorientated with the Psychomotor seizure, as most GMs occur when epi dogs are sleeping - which is why the slightest unusual movement of her during the night always disturbs me until I check that she is OK.

Anyhow, I turned the air-con down a lot to help cool her, and when we finally went to bed I put the a/c unit on much cooler than normal in my bedroom as Pereg tends to sleep at the end of the bed with her head almost immediately under the stream of cold air.

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
That sounds awful Malka.

I hope she is settled now and no more seizures and you can both have an uninterrupted day for snoozing.
Sounds like you both badly need some rest.
No snoozing I am afraid as what with Pereg's first meal, trying to prepare my own, then her 3pm meds, trying to eat myself - it is almost time for her evening meal and my supper. No time to nap in between and I have to be up at least until her 11pm meds.

Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Malka, what can I say, I was so very very worried about how you would manage, somehow you have.
I hope that this is it for a very long time and you get much needed sleep today.
Now the water guys have been you can at least try and get some sleep.
I managed - somehow I always do. Not sure how or how much longer I can, especially if now the seizures are getting closer and closer again.

Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
((Hugs))Malka and Perag.Hope she remains settled for you today and you both can sleep xx
Thanks Eileen. At the moment Pereg is chombling on a bone but as there is no meat left on it she will no doubt be wanting food soon. She, of course, has no knowledge of what happened and will not even be aware that anything actually did happen. It is us humans who suffer from knowledge and memory.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
It really was a very bad GM and I was not sure if Pereg would come out of it but the ocular compression does seem to help bring her out - if not fully but at least partially. It was also the first time that she had gone straight into a GM while being conscious, albeit very disorientated with the Psychomotor seizure, as most GMs occur when epi dogs are sleeping - which is why the slightest unusual movement of her during the night always disturbs me until I check that she is OK.

Anyhow, I turned the air-con down a lot to help cool her, and when we finally went to bed I put the a/c unit on much cooler than normal in my bedroom as Pereg tends to sleep at the end of the bed with her head almost immediately under the stream of cold air.

No snoozing I am afraid as what with Pereg's first meal, trying to prepare my own, then her 3pm meds, trying to eat myself - it is almost time for her evening meal and my supper. No time to nap in between and I have to be up at least until her 11pm meds.

I managed - somehow I always do. Not sure how or how much longer I can, especially if now the seizures are getting closer and closer again.

Thanks Eileen. At the moment Pereg is chombling on a bone but as there is no meat left on it she will no doubt be wanting food soon. She, of course, has no knowledge of what happened and will not even be aware that anything actually did happen. It is us humans who suffer from knowledge and memory.
And exhaustion unfortunately too Malka You must be shattered.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Oh no, I'm so sorry, Malka
Poor Pereg (and you!)

Hope things are better for you both today x x
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 10:26 AM
So sorry for Pereg & you Malka. It must be so frightening for you when she is having a GM. It would be bad enough if you were able bodied & could help her but with not being ((( Hugs))) to you both.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm really sorry to hear this Malka, it must have been just awful, and so soon after the last one. Have you been in contact with your vet at all? Do you think you might have to review the meds?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »