Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by harley quinn View Post
Hi thanks for all your replies, my dog was playing in a secure, fully supervised garden with my fiance and 2 young children, Harley saw another dog by our front gates and jumped over the wall to investigate, my fiance tried to grab her collar and called her back, but she ran straight into the road and was hit by car . The insurance company said because she cleared a wall she isn't covered, xx
Now you've give the details I have to say I am not surprised the insurance company won't cover the cost of the treatment.

If your dog can clear the fence/wall/whatever - it is not safely enclosed on your property.

Same as a car insurance co. wouldn't shell out if you'd told them your car would be safely garaged and it got nicked because you left the garage door open.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Insurance companies get away with blue murder Should be made to give measurements, how high does the wall or fence need to be to be classed as " secure"!! OP situation is an absolute disgrace and when it comes to a huge vet bill most companies will worm their way out of it!!!! Makes you wonder why bother, sometimes
I've never insured a pet in my life. Preferring to use the money to pay for any treatment necessary. And lucky to be able to afford to do so.

But because people who take out insurance are in the main people who fear they could not meet the cost of very expensive treatment - it behoves them to make sure they meet the terms of the small print in any policy. Or they are just throwing their money away.

A fence that would be considered secure would be a fence or wall that would be too high for your particular breed of dog to jump. My min pin could not jump a 6ft fence but my former GSD could have.

Not rocket science. If the dog was aggressive and leapt the perimeter and attacked someone - there would be no defence there either. It was not securely contained.
harley quinn
New Member!
Female 

25-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Thanks for all your replies, firstly I agree that the onus should lie with me,however my dog was playing, in the garden with my fiancé and kids, so would not be tied up, secondly yes she jumped the wall, which she knocked down I had no idea she could jump that high, as she has never done it before.
Also when the vet checked the policy they were happy she was covered and started treatment, tbh if I was paying there are a few things I would be dubious about paying for.
Her policy isn't that cheap, we researched it and decided this was the best one for us . We will be appealing, not that i'm hopeful, but if not we'll have to arrange a payment plan with the vet, and cancel our wedding, but she's doing really well, and i'm extremely grateful for that,
Danielle xx
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Good luck.Really hope you win your case and don't have to cancel your wedding xx
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
I really don't think it matters how secure your garden is or how big or athletic your dogs are - if, one day, one gets out, then it wasn't secure enough and the onus is on the owner to assess the risk and act accordingly before signing on the dotted line. It's not up to the insurance company to decide if such a dog could clear such a fence when the owner has signed to say the garden is secure.

It's a hard lesson to learn.
That's not strictly true - if you can prove beyond reasonable doubt that it was your considered opinion (based on practical experience) that your dog/s cannot clear your perimeter, then unless the insurance company in question is not a very kosher one, you will be covered.

We very easily convinced our insurance company that beyond reasonable doubt we had no idea that Ben could clear our perimeter - based on the fact that dogs we had owned previously of a similar type but even more athletic had never done or even attempted to do such a thing.

If I were the OP I would definitely take this up with the insurance company!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by harley quinn View Post
Thanks for all your replies, firstly I agree that the onus should lie with me,however my dog was playing, in the garden with my fiancé and kids, so would not be tied up, secondly yes she jumped the wall, which she knocked down I had no idea she could jump that high, as she has never done it before.
Also when the vet checked the policy they were happy she was covered and started treatment, tbh if I was paying there are a few things I would be dubious about paying for.
Her policy isn't that cheap, we researched it and decided this was the best one for us . We will be appealing, not that i'm hopeful, but if not we'll have to arrange a payment plan with the vet, and cancel our wedding, but she's doing really well, and i'm extremely grateful for that,
Danielle xx
Very best of luck Danielle - please refer to what I have said about our dog Ben. On the surface it sounds to me that you have an argument - I have no idea of course how long you have had the bitch, but presuming it is more than years and covering adulthood, not just puppyhood, then I would think that you would be covered - am I right in thinking that she managed to scale the perimeter as it were BECAUSE the wall fell down? In other words, she jumped at the wall, it subsequently fell down, therefore she managed to escape? If that is the case, then very definitely you are covered on your insurance - either doggie or house or probably both!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I've never insured a pet in my life. Preferring to use the money to pay for any treatment necessary. And lucky to be able to afford to do so.

But because people who take out insurance are in the main people who fear they could not meet the cost of very expensive treatment - it behoves them to make sure they meet the terms of the small print in any policy. Or they are just throwing their money away.

A fence that would be considered secure would be a fence or wall that would be too high for your particular breed of dog to jump. My min pin could not jump a 6ft fence but my former GSD could have.

Not rocket science. If the dog was aggressive and leapt the perimeter and attacked someone - there would be no defence there either. It was not securely contained.
That's not strictly true - our insurance company accepted that we could have reasonably assumed that our perimeter fence was Ben proof, based on our previous experience of similar dogs but even larger and more athletic than Ben.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Maybe they just think some things in life are avoidable, how can they stipulate the required height for a wall or fence. My Pugs couldn't clear a 3foot wall but my Dobermanns could clear a 5foot wall with relative ease. I'm not knocking the OP I'm guilty of one of the other many exclusions, my dogs exit and enter my vehicle without being on lead or the drive being secure. I would say they are under control, totally focused on getting in the car, but if the worst should happen, like it or not it would be totally my fault.
just true, what else to say?

I had a fence around the garden where I used to live, when I had my GSD
absolutely secure for him for not to get out or jumping over it
but now with my mini dog
that fence were never been secure for her, as she had just could easily slip through under it, where the other were been to big for
harley quinn
New Member!
Female 

25-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Very best of luck Danielle - please refer to what I have said about our dog Ben. On the surface it sounds to me that you have an argument - I have no idea of course how long you have had the bitch, but presuming it is more than years and covering adulthood, not just puppyhood, then I would think that you would be covered - am I right in thinking that she managed to scale the perimeter as it were BECAUSE the wall fell down? In other words, she jumped at the wall, it subsequently fell down, therefore she managed to escape? If that is the case, then very definitely you are covered on your insurance - either doggie or house or probably both!
yes the wall was standing, and whilst jumping she knocked it down, thus aiding her escape.
I really do understand the posts that state the onus should be with us, but I was convinced she was secure and took all reasonable steps to ensure this i'm just a little bemused as the vet assured us the policy would cover it

Danielle xx
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Afraid I agree, the fact she managed to jump over the wall , is reason for them to say " not secure " .

This may sound insensative, but was the car damaged in the accident , because you could also find yourself liable for the damage to the car as someone I know did , the drive of the car claimed against the dog owner for the dent in the car.
House insurance covers you for third party claims. When I had Star for four weeks, she ran out when I was taking the kids to school and damaged a 4X4. She was fine but did £800 to the car and, after asking a few questions, the insurance paid up fine.

Hope your insurance pay up. I'm with Animal Friends and I'm obviously very interested in their attitude towards their customers.
Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »