Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IceCody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2013, 03:55 AM

Male contraceptive stick vs. the pill for the female

I have got two papillons, a male and female. Now the female, Destiny is only 3 months old but I am already thinking of how to make sure they donīt mate. I might breed them in the future, maybe but not unless she has been shown a few times as an adult, has had all her health testing done and passed them and she is at least 3 years of age. And of course if I have the couriage to make my little Desty go through pregnancy and birthing.

My question is, would it be better to use the little implant for him or put her on the pill?
What do I have to consider health wise, behaviour wise and just in general? I have never had an unaltered dog and I am showing these two so I canīt just have them fixed.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2013, 07:29 AM
The implant would be ideal, however it shrinks the testicles so you cant show the dog if you use it. You can get 6 and 12 month implants.

Im not sure what the "pill" is for bitches? Can you not put your bitch or dog in kennels at the time she is near mating? Or just exercise extreme caution at home?

I have a young male and an old one, the younger has been used a few times, and he is no problem just the other side of the stair gate when my bitch is in season. You just need to be very careful about leaving doors open.
IceCody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2013, 04:51 PM
I am also thinking of him being around a female in heat. Some males go crazy if there is a female in heat around them. I donīt need to kennel my dogs thankfully. I have family members that would take one of them in without a problem if I need it. I was just hoping for another solution that I donīt have to move one of them out of their home.

He only needs one more leg to achive international champion status. And I am hoping for that in our next show which is in September. That will be her first show.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2013, 05:01 PM
International champion status, wow,that's exciting looking forward to news on that. Good Luck
IceCody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2013, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
International champion status, wow,that's exciting looking forward to news on that. Good Luck
Thank you, I am very excited. Hope he will be in his best mood that day and everything goes well.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2013, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
The implant would be ideal, however it shrinks the testicles so you cant show the dog if you use it. You can get 6 and 12 month implants.

Im not sure what the "pill" is for bitches? Can you not put your bitch or dog in kennels at the time she is near mating? Or just exercise extreme caution at home?

I have a young male and an old one, the younger has been used a few times, and he is no problem just the other side of the stair gate when my bitch is in season. You just need to be very careful about leaving doors open.
My vet implants a show dog and apparently there is no problem at all as the KC rules that there should be two descended testicles - which there still will be in spite of being small. I would check with the Kennel Club as I gather the vet's client who shows boxers simply informed the judge that her dog had the implant and carried the form from his vet to prove it.
My dogs have the implant and it is excellent. There is a kennel of 7 bitches 20yrds from our property and they pay no attention now to them where before they would go off their food and sit by the door crying when one or more were on heat. No change in personality and they stopped 'marking' within two weeks of being implanted. You can get Superlorin implants that last 6 or 12 months and if the dog is small they will last much longer than when in a larger dog.

When the chip wears off everything returns to 'normal' including testicle size.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-06-2013, 10:36 AM
I had the superlorin implant carried out on a young male I took back and was obviously concerned about the possibility of him having sex with his own mother, decided to have the implant done when he was around 9 months old, his testicles didn't shrink, there was no noticeable physical difference, I had the 1 year one done as I didn't know how long he would be with me before I found a suitable home, as it happened I homed him pretty quickly so he was only with me a couple of months or so, could have had the 6 month one done, but didn't think it worth the risk.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-06-2013, 10:41 AM
It is possible for a bitch to have an injection every six months to stop her from coming into season. As soon as the injections stop she will come into season again, the same as a woman will start ovulating and menstruating again when she comes off the contraceptive Pill.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2013, 10:43 AM
I am totally green and embarrassed to say this but after reading this thread I realise I never heard tell of implants or pills for dogs. Where have I been living????
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-06-2013, 10:52 AM
That injection for the bitch is not very safe at all, I have heard of many many people using this regularly to prevent a bitch having a season and there is a very high incidence of cancers and mammary tumours. I was wondering if 'the pill' meant the injection to be honest. I would maybe inject one of my girls with it once, but from the research I carried out when deciding what to do about Blaidd I came down on the side of the implant, my vet also told me it could be removed if required as well, not sure how long it would take for the male to acquire full fertility, but I really felt myself that the implant was safer all round.
I actually refused to sell someone a female puppy she had booked as it came to light she was using the injection on an older bitch, who had mammary tumours by the way, and was also using it on her Utonagan bitch, who was having gynae problems (and ending up having an emergency spay) I challenged her on why she just didn't have the girls spayed anyway and she said she didn't want to 'put them through the 'pain' of the operation, yeah so instead one had tumours and one was consequently so ill she nearly died. I didn't want one of my female pups going into that situation at all.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >