Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by merryvale View Post
In the first post the dog had the tumour for 4yrs. In the second post the dog had a fatty tissue for 2yrs. Where do you not see the discrepancy? The details were not only not left out they were changed. The OP has added more info, unfortunately it contradicts the info they gave in the first place.
You're right merry vale.... It's not good... The owner must be pts for not stating the complete story with accurate facts the first time. She must be covering something! ...... Or could be worried sick and trying to do the best for her dog, stating the recent facts first. I don't remember the each course of events for my pets illnesses off the top of my heads!

To the OP big hugs and well wishes to your dog and you. Fingers crossed you can help him over this little glitch. We all have lumpy old age to look forward to!
Neukum
New Member!
Male 

02-07-2013, 04:09 AM
So I asked advice concerning my poor old boy Freddy who is a 19 year old Shepard chow mix who had a fatty tumor on his side that he kept licking to the point it started to bleed real bad ! I took him to the vet and they bandage it up and prescribed him novox 75mg twice a day and ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice a day the vet said the tumor out grew its blood supply and is dead inside they said they won't remove it due to his age that he won't be able to handle the anisthsa and won't wake up !! Other then this he is not in pain he is still the same happy love able playful best friend one could have the vet recommends I put him down I don't understand if his health and alertness is all there except his tumor how could I do this to him he is so aware and such a loyal pal I don't have the heart to do this he is not in pain he is eating jumping and playing I'm so confused ! I took him a while back and he had yearly check ups and every time I discuses the tumor and the vet said its not bothering him so leave it alone now years later it is a problem and now they can't do surgery cause they say he is to old I'm so angry at them cause I would had it removed wish I could turn back time !!! What will eventually happen to a fatty tumor that out grew its blood supply if I don't put him down this is the hardiest worst feeling I have had in a long time I get nausea everytime I think about what to do help me please I'm so confused he is not in pain though and when I clean it and rebandage it he doesn't seem bothered by it at all
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 05:07 AM
Hi again, it's a bit early for people in the UK to respond to you yet. I remember your last thread about the problem with your dear dog. At the time I suggested that, if you are not happy with the advice from your vet, you see ANOTHER VET. Get a second opinion.

I'm sorry but that's still my advice. As you obviously are not satisfied with what the vet you are seeing is telling you and not prepared to follow his advice. Did you question the vet about what the likely outcome or prognosis would be if you just 'left things as they are' for the time being?

I know, as do many others here, the pain of facing up to losing a beloved pet and companion. I do feel sorry for you but cannot tell you whatever it is you need to hear as I am in no way qualified. But in your situation I would have seen a different vet for a second opinion by now - if I was just not satisfied with what I was told by the first one. You need to have confidence and trust in your vet and you obviously do not.

If your dog isn't suffering or in pain and appears to be enjoying life right now you aren't prolonging any agony by taking the time to get a second opinion. Although it is understandable that you might want to put off the inevitable or dread being told the same thing by a different vet. I really do feel for you but you are wasting your money seeing your present vet if you have no faith in them.

Just adding that there is a LOT written out there on the web about the problem of 'fatty tumours' in dogs (seems the general advice given is to leave them be). However, I am guessing that your dog's age is a factor and the fact that it has 'changed'. I've been reading this
http://www.dogcancerblog.com/lipoma-...omment-page-1/

And though some vets recommend removal they apparently often come back and I can sort of see why a vet is not recommending removal or treatment of it in an elderly dog. Just a general anaesthetic is a risky procedure for most elderly dogs.

I had a lump removed from my Cavvy's back some years ago. When we returned 2 wks later to have the stitches removed - the wound just opened up again to full size - instantly. Just as if it had never been stitched. It looked awful and I was so upset. Vet said her age was the factor in the wound not healing or sealing. It had to be 'left open' to heal then and not allowed to scab or dry out while doing so. It was not a very nice time for her or for me. I was manically covering the whole home in clean white sheets so she wouldn't get infected and having to bathe the edges of it to stop the scabbing. She did heal eventually but I'm just telling you this as there are lots of things that can carry more risk in an older dog. She was about 9 at the time.

I understand your desperation in wanting some better news than you've had from your vet but I don't think anyone can honestly tell you to either insist a vet operates or to just ignore your vet's advice. A second opinion from a professional would have been the better course to take.

You say that your dog is not bothered at all but it's obvious you are. Also obvious with a very old dog you don't have much time left together anyway. It would be very sad if the time you do have left was spoiled in your memories by your prolonged heartache over this.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-07-2013, 05:32 AM
Have to agree with Tang second opinion is the only way to go at this point.
Personally my questions would be why put him down now if his quality of life seems good ?
What is the medication for and why ?
What will his life be like in say a few weeks , months or even a year ?
Ask to be told the signs to look for that will tell you your dog is beginning to suffer ? Although I believe we know that and by the sounds of it you are very close to your friend and will notice any subtle changes that will tell you he is in pain or beginning to be uncomfortable.
I do think you need to ask a lot questions of the pros and cons whether that be go back to this vet for an explanation of his conversation with you or as we said a second opinion. Better still maybe ask this vet those questions and then seek a second opinion also.
As Tang says you need to spend the time yo have left with your friend positively not negatively.
He is a very good age but young or old we at some point have to think about making this awful decision but it is good to be told exactly why a vet is asking you be making that decision.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 05:38 AM
Morning Lynn,

Yes - as I am always saying - if you are unhappy, confused or baffled or just not 'believing' what the vet says - ask questions, get him to give examples, go into details, whatever.

I'm always surprised by the number of dog owners who come here right after seeing their vet (and paying for his advice) to question it or see if they can get better advice.

But am mindful of the fact that when you are at the vet with your beloved pet and worried sick (and perhaps not wanting to hear any 'bad' news) you aren't thinking straight or even might be so stunned at what they do say you are in a sort of daze and only get to mulling it over afterwards. This is where I think WRITING DOWN your questions is a good idea - whether seeing the vet or talking to them on the phone.

Some medical professionals can be a bit standoffish or make you feel you are taking up too much time or asking daft questions. If any of those things apply - you are not with the best vet for you and your dog. You pay for their services - they don't come cheap - you have the choice of where to go.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-07-2013, 06:03 AM
Agree Tang and I am the same have come out of the consulting room stunned but by the time I arrive home I am thinking clearly again so ring to speak to the vet when they are free and as you say have my questions written down or make an appointment to go back and have a chat not necessarily with the dog.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 06:10 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Agree Tang and I am the same have come out of the consulting room stunned but by the time I arrive home I am thinking clearly again so ring to speak to the vet when they are free and as you say have my questions written down or make an appointment to go back and have a chat not necessarily with the dog.
Have done the same myself Lynn. Gone to the doc's with 2 probs - got so dismayed at what he said about the 1st prob completely forgot to even mention the 2nd one!

Have to say I agree with - if dog is happy and not in pain - what's the all fired hurry to put it down? A loving owner like this one who spends so much time with the dog will know at once if they are suffering, going downhill or in pain. Then is the time to take action and not delay it on account of you not wanting to lose your pal.

I could not bear to think if any dog of mine in pain - not unless I was assured it was temporary and would go away with appropriate treatment.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 06:18 AM
Hi,

Oh dear I really feel for you and I can see why you are confused. Why tell you it's not bothering the dog and then suggest you put him to sleep. My last dog lived to the grand of 20 and we visit the vet every couple of months to discuss quality of life, medication etc. It was a real two way conversation with the vet wanting to know his day to day life etc.

I think you need to talk to vet who will do this with you and fully explain their reasoning if they to suggest putting him to sleep. X
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 07:19 AM
I'm assuming the problem is that he won't leave it alone, rather than it affecting him? If that's the case, then he probably wouldn't leave a wound alone either, if you decided to have it removed.

I do so feel for you, stuck between a rock and a hard place, but like the other posters am not in a position to give you any constructive advice other than to follow your heart and do whatever you can for your dog to make sure he doesn't suffer.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-07-2013, 09:04 AM
To be honest my advice is exactly the same as before, apply a soothing topical ointment and put a t shirt on your dog to prevent access to the lump.
I know exactly how you feel regarding putting to sleep what appears to be a perfectly healthy much loved pet, as I did exactly that just a week ago. I do understand the anger and pain you feel but trust me, you have to put the dog first. The pain won't be any less if you make the decision in a week, a month or a years time. You will still be broken hearted and devastated but you will at least know your best friend never suffered just because you couldn't make the decision. I'm not saying the vet is right and you should do it today. I am saying at 19 it really is something you need to face up to and soon, get your mind in the right place and "man up". I'm not meaning to be harsh but sadly, letting go and making the right decision at the right time is the hardest part of being a loving, responsible pet owner. There will never be an easy time to make the decision but you do need to think about it now and prepare yourself.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >