Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2013, 08:30 PM

Started to smell?

Since Tuesday Alfie has had his food cut down, and everyone in the house has been told not to give him annnny extras.

He's not really overweight but the vet recommended he loses a little weight (had his check up).

He is fed Chappie which she said was fine.

But the last couple of days he smells bad! Is this due to the lack of rubbish food people had been feeding him?

Only other thing that changed is that I have upped my exercise over the last 2 weeks so he has too.....

He is acting like he is hungry which is a shame, is it unfair to up his daily exercise and cut out all extras at once? Should I up his dry food a little due to the exercise?

Its weird as he never smelt ever unless wet, now him and his breath smells bad!

Eta - I should add it was on Tuesday he had his vaccinations and oral kennel cough stuff too
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
Since Tuesday Alfie has had his food cut down, and everyone in the house has been told not to give him annnny extras.

He's not really overweight but the vet recommended he loses a little weight (had his check up).

He is fed Chappie which she said was fine.

But the last couple of days he smells bad! Is this due to the lack of rubbish food people had been feeding him?

Only other thing that changed is that I have upped my exercise over the last 2 weeks so he has too.....

He is acting like he is hungry which is a shame, is it unfair to up his daily exercise and cut out all extras at once? Should I up his dry food a little due to the exercise?

Its weird as he never smelt ever unless wet, now him and his breath smells bad!

Eta - I should add it was on Tuesday he had his vaccinations and oral kennel cough stuff too
I'm no expert but I'd get his teeth checked. Only dog I had with bad breath it was due to infection - mouth abscess.

I do think cutting down food AND upping exercise is a bit much but don't know why it has to be TREATS to increase the food a bit. Why not just a little more of his 'proper food'?

I've got mine on a diet. Hardly any treats at all and NO human food. And for her kibble allowance, instead of putting the lesser amount in her bowl I am putting it a bit at a time into an empty water bottle or other ways to make it seem more fun, take longer to get to and eat etc.

Can't say the weight is dropping off her but everyone else is saying she does look thinner.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Hi Kammi what kind of smell is it ...
Just a though, if you have cut Alfie's food, is he still pooing normally.
If is poos are smaller this may affect the anal glands so they don't empty so well . Licking the area can make the breath smelly...
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2013, 10:50 PM
I have just been informed by dad that he took him out the other day when I was at work, and he had been rolling in stuff.......... If he has got stuff round his head/neck that could explain his smell and what I thought was bad breath........

Shall update tomorrow after he has a bath lol