Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
In your rush to prove how knowledgeable you are, you have entirely missed my point. Never mind eh.
LOL Malka
I quite agree!
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Lol I'll try and reply to all. Firstly Demi is allergic to chicken, she started off on the kibble when all the symptoms first started and I tried her on raw chicken too with the same reactions.
At the minute I still have her on pork, yesterday I went to the butcher and brought a whole pigs shoulder, trotted and everything lol. The butcher has minced all the meat for me and hacked up the neck, leg, trotter etc so there not too small for her but still have meat on.
I have read up loads on feeding raw meat and I read that heart wasn't to be counted in the 10% of offal, I also read that 5% of the offal should be liver. At the minute she still isn't having any organ cause I'm still trying to be careful not to overload her with loads of different stuff and I'm just trying to suss out what meats she seems alright with and its a very slow process lol.
But this is what's worrying me, I'm worried cause she's only having meat and bone and cubes of cheese as treats I'm worried she's not getting everything she needs right now.
I am giving her a multivitamin on her meat once in the morning but I'm still paranoid lol tags why I was wondering whether to give veg etc or not. Also how important is the egg? Is this a must too?
Thanks to everyone for your recommendations on pages and sites I will have a peek at those
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-06-2013, 10:27 PM
I rarely feed liver to be honest, if I do it is for treats.
That's what I was trying to explain, you start off like you do reading everything you can and taking advice, and gradually you find out what suits your dog and what doesn't, what quantities work. You will find that some people (like myself and Malka for instance) feed veg, but some don't and never have, some add vitamins and supplements (which I do) and some don't. You work it out as you go along, there are no hard and fast rules, there are guidelines to help you start out but that is it. I do think eggs are important, mine have 2 in their shell in the week, but then you will hear of someone who never feeds eggs, just do what makes you feel comfortable and what works for you both. Have you joined the britbarf group, that is a good source of information and help.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-06-2013, 05:38 AM
Don't worry about her not having everything she needs. She will get there with patience. Dogs are quite resilient and I bet a couple of months, or however long it takes to transition her completely won't make too much of a difference overall.

Pork can be fatty and dogs need fat. I'm not saying a crazy amount, dogs use it as energy and don't store it the same way humans do.

Turkey is not the same as chicken whatsoever so don't worry about it. Eggs are great! My dogs love them. I try to give them one a day or at least every other day, shell and all.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-06-2013, 07:02 AM
Dillon is back on the raw after a break.
He was being sick after chicken wings and chicken mince and also sloppy poohs I thought it was down to him not tolerating the raw so put him onto nature diet and a chicken wing or rib for afters and teeth cleaning purposes.
Long story short it turns out he cannot do chicken in any way shape or form not even nature diet or anything with chicken in it.
He is now back on the raw and tolerates turkey and all other meats very well.

I think the OP is getting confused with the prey model diet where people feed whole rabbit or pigeon etc., complete with fur or feathers.
Not the barf or raw meaty bones diet as they are almost similar anyone feeding barf also includes bones in some way shape or form.
Dillon does get some veggies and fruit usually blitzed in the processor or grated or like at the moment frozen spinach defrosted.
He also gets offal once a week sometimes not always and he gets fish oil, natural yoghurt, cottage cheese, tinned sardines seaweed powder, apple cider vinegar, vit.e capsule and sometimes some wheatgerm and bran.
After every meal of mince he gets a turkey neck or lamb or pork rib.
He also gets raw egg at least once a week without shell added in his food he did get shell as well but he is a bit messy with it and a clove of garlic crushed at least once a week and sometimes diamateceous earth sprinkled on his food.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2013, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Dillon is back on the raw after a break.
He was being sick after chicken wings and chicken mince and also sloppy poohs I thought it was down to him not tolerating the raw so put him onto nature diet and a chicken wing or rib for afters and teeth cleaning purposes.
Long story short it turns out he cannot do chicken in any way shape or form not even nature diet or anything with chicken in it.
He is now back on the raw and tolerates turkey and all other meats very well.

I think the OP is getting confused with the prey model diet where people feed whole rabbit or pigeon etc., complete with fur or feathers.
Not the barf or raw meaty bones diet as they are almost similar anyone feeding barf also includes bones in some way shape or form.
Dillon does get some veggies and fruit usually blitzed in the processor or grated or like at the moment frozen spinach defrosted.
He also gets offal once a week sometimes not always and he gets fish oil, natural yoghurt, cottage cheese, tinned sardines seaweed powder, apple cider vinegar, vit.e capsule and sometimes some wheatgerm and bran.
After every meal of mince he gets a turkey neck or lamb or pork rib.
He also gets raw egg at least once a week without shell added in his food he did get shell as well but he is a bit messy with it and a clove of garlic crushed at least once a week and sometimes diamateceous earth sprinkled on his food.
Tonks can't do chicken at all either...makes her itchy. Remus has prey model....well he really has kibble but he caught a rabbit the other day and swallowed it in a couple of chomps!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-06-2013, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Tonks can't do chicken at all either...makes her itchy. Remus has prey model....well he really has kibble but he caught a rabbit the other day and swallowed it in a couple of chomps!
I'm not sure what Dillon would do if he managed to catch one. Ollie found a dead one once and carried it home and we had to prise it off him at the gate. I was a bit worried about how it had died just in case it had got hold of poison.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

23-06-2013, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Remus has prey model....well he really has kibble but he caught a rabbit the other day and swallowed it in a couple of chomps!
Reminds me of Pereg and the pigeon which must have hit an overhead wire and came tumbling down in a cloud of what looked like large snowflakes, landing just over the little wall. She leaped over the wall and by the time I got to her she was well tucking into it!
Sariska
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Sara1210 View Post
Lol I'll try and reply to all. Firstly Demi is allergic to chicken, she started off on the kibble when all the symptoms first started and I tried her on raw chicken too with the same reactions.
At the minute I still have her on pork, yesterday I went to the butcher and brought a whole pigs shoulder, trotted and everything lol. The butcher has minced all the meat for me and hacked up the neck, leg, trotter etc so there not too small for her but still have meat on.
I have read up loads on feeding raw meat and I read that heart wasn't to be counted in the 10% of offal, I also read that 5% of the offal should be liver. At the minute she still isn't having any organ cause I'm still trying to be careful not to overload her with loads of different stuff and I'm just trying to suss out what meats she seems alright with and its a very slow process lol.
But this is what's worrying me, I'm worried cause she's only having meat and bone and cubes of cheese as treats I'm worried she's not getting everything she needs right now.
I am giving her a multivitamin on her meat once in the morning but I'm still paranoid lol tags why I was wondering whether to give veg etc or not. Also how important is the egg? Is this a must too?
Thanks to everyone for your recommendations on pages and sites I will have a peek at those
Hi Sara, did you tried to give her RAW chicken? Or you avoid it since kibble?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

23-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Sariska View Post
Hi Sara, did you tried to give her RAW chicken? Or you avoid it since kibble?
I know that English is not your first language, but did you actually READ what Sara said?

Originally Posted by Sara1210 View Post
...[snip]...I tried her on raw chicken too with the same reactions.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >