Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2013, 07:34 PM

Help with raw?

Hiya
After researching for hours online I've read that with demodex it's best to get the dogs immune system strong to beat the mite.
At the minute the vet is trying to talk to someone at animal health trust to see about using an unlicensed medicine that's given orally as it seems she's reacted badly to the Aludex.
So at the minute I'm now fighting with a food allergy, a yeast infection AND demodex.
With the food right now I think my best option is to go raw cause it's the only way I can know exactly what she is eating.
I think she is allergic to grains, corn etc but I'm only guessing, she also seems to be sensitive to beef and chicken. I was feeding salmon and rice proplan but that has maize and rice which I think is setting off the allergy, I got her orijen 6 fish but that has sweet potato in which will feed the yeast infection, so right now I need to strip her diet right back.
Tonight I brought her a fresh fillet of haddock, I grated some carrot and spinach in and put a multivitamin on top and mixed it all together, she ate quite a bit but then started eating grass as if she was trying to be sick but she hasn't been.
I really need help and advice with the raw diet as I haven't got a clue where to start and what she needs. Like I said I think she is sensitive to chicken and beef. Can anyone steer me in the right direction please?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Just give her the fish without anything added for the time being and see how she goes with that, then try another type of meat, that way you will find out what works and what doesn't. There is time in the future to add vitamins etc. First you need to really go back to basics and build from there.
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Just give her the fish without anything added for the time being and see how she goes with that, then try another type of meat, that way you will find out what works and what doesn't. There is time in the future to add vitamins etc. First you need to really go back to basics and build from there.
Ok thank you. Is fish ok as her first meat and was it ok fresh from the deli counter? They skin it for me and I picked the little bones out. I've brought frozen white fish from pets at home for tomorrow. I really am starting from the beginning so sorry if I sound silly
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-06-2013, 08:24 PM
You're OK everyone starts off panicking over nothing at all (well when you look back it is nothing, starting raw feeding is a massive step)
Fish is fine if you get it from the frozen fish part of the supermarket, get the cheapest white fish fillets you can.
I add fat free bio yogurt and cottage cheese and a bit of steamed veg, but for the moment keep to basics. If you are using the stuff at Pets@Home for starters they do freeflow minces that are good and also worth a try at the packs of rabbit, try the tripe as well, I know it stinks but is very very good for delicate tummies as it contains the right enzymes.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2013, 08:26 PM
It's not raw but my staffy has Wafcol salmon and potato. She has a complex skin condition too. She had Demodex as a puppy but it hasn't reoccurred since I started using Advocate to treat it, worms and fleas.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2013, 03:35 AM
If she's sensitive to chicken and beef, turkey or any other type of fowl would be ideal. How about pork, does she have allergic reactions to it? If not, pork necks are a good source for RMB. Not sure about your area, is lamb or goat available at a decent price?

I personally would start with turkey necks. They have the perfect ratio of bone and meat and is quite lean as to prevent an upset stomach from the change.
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
If she's sensitive to chicken and beef, turkey or any other type of fowl would be ideal. How about pork, does she have allergic reactions to it? If not, pork necks are a good source for RMB. Not sure about your area, is lamb or goat available at a decent price?

I personally would start with turkey necks. They have the perfect ratio of bone and meat and is quite lean as to prevent an upset stomach from the change.
Sorry about the late reply I've been away. She seems fine on pork, at the minute I've got her eating pork ribs and pork loin and shoulder and she's been doing well on those. I'm still really worried she's not getting everything she needs, I've read up about how much muscle meat and organ etc she needs but haven't introduced her to organ yet. I was also worried that she may be sensitive to Turkey if she was chicken, but if that's not the case I will try her on Turkey next. Just one question regarding Turkey, is she ok to have legs?

I'm looking into a new freezer just for Demi then I'm going to buy in bulk. Also I've read up so much about raw and there seems to be different opinions in whether or not to give veg or supplements or whether to just feed meat. What is everyone's personal preference on here?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-06-2013, 09:38 AM
I feed grated steamed veg to my girls, partly because my 2 older girls do so well on very little that I have to bulk their meals out otherwise I get looks of sheer disgust from them at the tiny amount in their dishes. I did used to puree the veg in a juicer but when I had 12 puppies plus 2 adults it gave up, had a nervous breakdown and never worked again. However I have found that grating and steaming the veg is actually better for bulk in my circumstances.
I also give them Vitamin E. garlic. Vitamin B Complex and EPO every day.
Turkey legs are fine, but I would say you don't have a very big dog there and also you want to be careful of excessive weight gain, pork is quite fattening and an entire turkey leg is a a heck of a lot, my adult girls weigh in at around 50kg and one of those would be an entire day's worth of food.
Doesn't necessarily follow that if she reacts to chicken she'll react to turkey. Can't remember if you've tried rabbit and fish?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Sara1210 View Post
...[snip]... What is everyone's personal preference on here?
My dog has vegetables [a lot!] and also additional supplements and vitamins. Her first meal is a "wet" meal with the supplements and vitamins, usually raw meat [mainly poultry - turkey gizzards or hearts], sometimes ½% fat soft cheese and an egg, sometimes raw white fish, with turkey liver about once a week, and lots of vegetables to bulk it out. I cube and lightly steam the vegetables.

Her second meal is a bone meal. Either a chicken wing or carcass, or half a turkey neck, and sometimes raw fresh sardines or raw fresh pilchards depending on what the fish van has. All the bone meals are bought fresh, each item put in individual polybags and frozen [except the sardines which are open frozen on trays and then bagged], and she has them frozen straight from the freezer.

Her "treats" are raw kohlrabi, cucumber, sweet peppers or carrots. Sometimes apples or banana.

I do keep an online diary of what she has each day with usually a couple of weeks' menus listed, so I know what she has had and what she needs to have.
Dieseldaft
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Hi

When you say she is sensitive/allergic to beef and chicken, do you mean from dry kibble?
Its just that I know of some dogs who have been sensitive to this, but been absolutely fine with raw beef and chicken.

Oily fish is a really good choice and I wouldn't worry about removing bones etc, just feed it whole exactly as it is. I take it you know about the ratios needed for raw feeding? The diet should consist of roughly 80% meat to 10% bone to 10% offal. I appreciate this may be difficult with your girl. Every meal doesnt have to be balance like this as long as a rough balance is achieved over time. I try to get my ratios roughly right over the space of one week.

Tripe is a favourite of mine and has lots of good nutrients etc. Its quite overwhelming to start off with, but you will gain confidence once you get into the swing of things My boy LOVES his food now and his itching has improved and his coat is absolutely gleaming.
Best of luck
Leona x
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »