Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:09 PM

How best to bring Buttons home.....

OK, yesterday we went to see Buttons. It is a almost a three hour drive but mainly motorway so not too many twisty turns thankfully.

How would you recommend the best way to transport a new puppy taking safety and the puppy's needs into account. We are not sure yet whether I will be the only driver again.If this is the case my older children will be the ones doing the puppy caring in the car.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:12 PM
I bought mine home in a plastic cat carrier on the back seat secured with safety belt. And then put her in that every time I took her out in the car afterwards until she was big and strong enough to be tethered to a seatbelt. She was tiny tho - puppy min pin.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:15 PM
We brought Louie home froma two and a half hour trip from Mablethorpe - we stopped half way through and he didnt want to wake up so we carried on and he held himself til we got home.

He was on the back seat with Benjie, my sister and her friend. But I would go with a crate if you're worried
Briard Lover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:24 PM
I was at the front with Dillon on my lap, as advised by the breeder as it's a better ride, he slept most of the two hour drive home.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Briard Lover View Post
I was at the front with Dillon on my lap, as advised by the breeder as it's a better ride, he slept most of the two hour drive home.
But did he not start to wriggle around everywhere?
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:28 PM
I would try and make sure she has toileted before you leave and ask the breeder not to feed too close to leaving time (not a nice smell on a long journey!!)
For such a small dog, how about being wrapped in a really cosy blanket and either on the laps of your kids or snuggled between them on the back seat?
I much prefer to travel my pups back home with the comfort of a cuddle/heartbeat from someone, think it really helps to reassure them rather than be in a crate etc.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:28 PM
either a cat carrier if you have one or if someone goes with you i'm sure it will be fine on the passengers lap. A pup will soon get tired travelling
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
But did he not start to wriggle around everywhere?
From my experience of new puppies, they are a little worried and confused after leaving littermates and then in a car that they have just slept and only wriggled when needing toilet.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
From my experience of new puppies, they are a little worried and confused after leaving littermates and then in a car that they have just slept and only wriggled when needing toilet.
that's a point - if the pup goes on someones lap - take a blanket lol
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:42 PM
And plenty of kitchen roll
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >