View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-08-2008, 12:04 PM
If I was in Maggie's position I would not be best chuffed tbh. She's already in her 80's and I think although Carol could have mentioned it in passing I think the details could wait until after Maggie had died, and could come out in a biography or a book dedicated solely to living with Alzeimers. Maggie may have Alzeimers but she will still have periods of lucidity and clarity and could be quite hurt by the revelations, if she wanted people to know she would tell them herself. Anyone close to her knows anyway. I just think it's a bit premature.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
If I was in Maggie's position I would not be best chuffed tbh. She's already in her 80's and I think although Carol could have mentioned it in passing I think the details could wait until after Maggie had died, and could come out in a biography or a book dedicated solely to living with Alzeimers. Maggie may have Alzeimers but she will still have periods of lucidity and clarity and could be quite hurt by the revelations, if she wanted people to know she would tell them herself. Anyone close to her knows anyway. I just think it's a bit premature.
I agree completly, most people know are told they have the condition while they are capable to understand what it all means. Mags could have told the world then and she didn't. This says to me that she didn't want people to know and her daughter should have respected that . .

BTW if anyone wants to read the speech Terry made to the Alzheimer's Research Trust here is a link:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/1986843/posts

He has also given $1 million dollars to them for research and is trying to get his fans to donate the cost of a book to them . . .
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
I agree completly, most people know are told they have the condition while they are capable to understand what it all means. Mags could have told the world then and she didn't. This says to me that she didn't want people to know and her daughter should have respected that . .

BTW if anyone wants to read the speech Terry made to the Alzheimer's Research Trust here is a link:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/1986843/posts

He has also given $1 million dollars to them for research and is trying to get his fans to donate the cost of a book to them . . .
Good point.

However, of all the people I have known/cared for with dementia, not one has ever been told they have it.
Usually because by the time their symptoms have got bad enough to be referred to a psychogeriatrician they would not take in that infomation anyway. That is also often because families dismiss symptoms, even hide them, as it can't be that.

I've often had to assess clients for their needs. Sometimes a family member attends these assessments, sometimes not. But I've lost count of the times, after the assessment I've cared for them and though, 'Hello, this is a bit more than just forgetfullness'.

Even the comments Carol had had quoted in the press, about having to tell her Mother that her father is dead over & over again gets peopel talking. Again a good thing.

The Alzheimers' society would say not to tell someone btw.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2008, 02:18 PM
I think the book is written because it can be, because it will bank money whilst people still have a fascination with the Iron Lady. ( dementia or no)
I think once Margaret is gone, Carol won't have such publicity again.

Sad for the old girl though - love her or loathe her, I would have spared her that.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
Sad for the old girl though - love her or loathe her, I would have spared her that.
Yes, that's my view too, love her or loathe her she did change things. I just looked on Amazon to see if I could find the chapter headings but they weren't listed. I did find this 'tho:-

"In this memoir, she tells us about what it was like to grow up as The Milk Snatcher's daughter, to be the sister of the more (in)famous Mark, and to live a life that she describes as a 'swim-on part in the goldfish bowl'. As a schoolgirl, student, journalist and now TV personality and indefatigable world traveller, she lives life to the full. Hers is a rivetingly funny and revealing memoir, and as she hurtles from one incident and accident to another, you will relive your affection for her all over again"

Sorry, but I have to say that doesn't sound like she really wanted to promote awareness of Alzheimers to me.

I also note that the head of the Alzheimers Society has issued a statement highlighting the under funding and general lack of knowledge about the condition which IMO will likely be more effective that Carols book.

Amazon also listed the other books she has written so she's been churning them out on a regular basis and all on the basis that she's the daughter of someone famous, well sorry that doesn't cut much ice with me and I say that as someone who had (and still has) a certain respect for her mother.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2