View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Hope all is going well and you havn't had any unwanted visitors, but they imo have no right to ask for Teddy back.

Hope its sorted soon
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm so sorry you're having such an awful time with these people. I agree, she's just trying to scare you. If she doesn't want to cough up the money for the vets bills, then she's not likely to spend money on legal advice!

I'd go with the earlier suggestion of the Citizen's Advice Bureau. They've helped me in the past. You can ring them and make an appointment, or you can go to the offices and wait to see someone.

Hope you and your lovely pup are ok x
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

14-04-2008, 10:32 AM
As others have said, she does not want to pay vet fees. However, if I were you, I would have a word with your local police to be on the safe side. I would also take legal advice - or look online for sites which may be of help. Here is a link to Doglaw - but not sure if it will come thru' here -

http://www.doglaw.co.uk/?gclid=CJbTr...FQhuMAodTVfX5g

I think there is a phone number that you can call for advice. Or, why not get a lawyer's letter sent to her?

Take care and keep an eye on your dog, just in case! I would even carry a bag of pepper in a bag, just in case!!

Hope it is all talk on that breeder's side.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm totally, totally gobsmacked!!!!!

You know your rights, and there's NO WAY you are handing that little darling back I know that. Make sure you've got your receipt for payment of him tucked away safe and secure and just don't answer the door!! Put a great big note on the door if you have to stating you know your rights, Teddy is yours and that's how it's going to stay!!! I really can't believe this!!! Also put on the note that you want nothing more to do with them, and you certainly don't want them calling round to your property otherwise you might have to take legal action and take out an injunction against them. This is totally, totally, out of order. Don't let them persuade you either, but I'm sure you won't!!!

Please let us know, and good luck!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Everyone has given you sound advice. Also the purchase price would not be the only questionable thing hun, there are vet bills too. Nearly all our family are in the police, so I can tell you this would not be a criminal action it would be a civil action, which she would have to bring to court....which means if she looses she would have to pay. Don't see her doing that. Hopefully you have saved the email she sent you, as that is proof that she was admitting that she lied to you when she sold the puppy.
Under the law, she would have no right to demand the puppy back, regardless to whether the puppy was ill or not, she can only offer to have it back.
However if her husband came round and got abusive, then that becames a criminal offence and the Police will take action against him.
Rest in peace that you have no legal right to return the pup as you have paid for it, and she has no legal right to take it from you, without your permission, again that would become a criminal offence as it is classed as taking without the owners consent amounting to thief.
Speak to CAB as they will readily advise you, or report it to the Police....however they may (I'm sorry to say) that they can only do something if she carries out the threat, as although she has threaten, it will be her word against your.
Hope that has helped.....Teddy is YOURS hun.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 11:41 AM
So sorry to hear about this.. i really can't understand over what grounds she thinks she is entitled to him back..

I'd agree with morganstar who suggested getting details of his illness in writing from your vet, and others who have suggested making an appointment with Citizens Advice Bureau. unless she is a vet she can't go making claims that his problems stemmed from drinking water or your dog.. it's just rubbish to make you think that you don't have a case against her.

Also, if you do go to CAB, talk to them about the Sale of Goods Act/Trading standards and take it from there..

Such a stressful time for you and Teddy, and I really hope this blows over soon and you can just enjoy your lovely boy.. Good luck with whatever you decide..
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 11:43 AM
She hasn't got a leg to stand on, my oh said to call the police and say you have been threatened, so they are aware.
Hopefully she is just bluffing. Did you have to give them your address then? as I didn't when I got Dori.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Absolutely ridiculous! What a strange woman she must be. I'm sure it will come to nothing. How awful after all you have been through with Teddy. You have plenty of advice already so am just sending you support.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 11:49 AM
As others have said, get legal advice on this matter asap. Do you still have the email saved where she said "hands up" etc? It could prove important.

As for the husband coming to the door. If he does tell him he is not welcome on your property and if he doesn't leave immediately you will call the police. If he doesn't leave do call them and explain that you believe there is a threat of violence due to an aggressive phone call earlier in the day. Even if he has left by the time the police have arrived they will still log it and you may need this in future if things get more complicated.

Fingers crossed all gets sorted amicably.
Teddysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Thanks everyone for your support and advice. I don't know where I'd be without you all.

Anyway I phoned a solicitor this morning who was great she was on the phone for at least ten minutes telling me my rights. We all know that legally I don't have to give him back but (and she has taken all the details) we should now sue for the vets bills, stress, sleepness nights etc. I don't know weather I want to go down that road but the solicitor reckons we have a very strong case. I spoke to the vet who is drafting a letter regarding Teddys condition when she first saw him (the morning after I got him) and his condition now. She said nobody could have done a better job with him than I have done and she has seen Harvey in the last year and he too in a picture of health and a well adjusted dog. She is also putting in the letter that she lives in our area and drinks the same water that we do, as do her dogs.
So, now it looks like I wait for their next move, if they make one. The solicitor says that if we have not heard from them within seven days, we take legal action to recover all costs and take steps to ensure that her own dogs are checked etc.
I'm just so fed up with the woman. I don't care abgout the money, I really don't but I wanted to make a stand against people who breed just for the money and don't look after their puppies.

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted.
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »