Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 09:40 AM

That time of year again

Well as the title says ' its that time of year again' . Every time i take Pepsi for a walk i have to shower her down as she if just filthy. Lots and lots of mud everywhere. So that means that my bath looks dirty all the time, even tho i rinse it down an hour later i still see drops of dirty water lol.

Any one else having this prob at the mo?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Hose her down outside?? Mine are outside dogs anyway but I find hosing the undercarriage and legs down and then making sure they have very deep beds of shavings works fine.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 10:32 AM
I know what you mean - all that mud! I use the washing up bowl & a bath towel on the kitchen floor. When we come in I wash her paws & sponge her down she doesn't do hose & I can't take the mess after "shaking" from the bath, the whole bathroom gets spattered & it's white!!
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Hose her down outside?? Mine are outside dogs anyway but I find hosing the undercarriage and legs down and then making sure they have very deep beds of shavings works fine.
I would do but my dad is doing out the back garden and has taken the tap out, so i dont think he will be putting it back in until he has done the garden next year.

Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
I know what you mean - all that mud! I use the washing up bowl & a bath towel on the kitchen floor. When we come in I wash her paws & sponge her down she doesn't do hose & I can't take the mess after "shaking" from the bath, the whole bathroom gets spattered & it's white!!
I used to do this but find it easier to just take her upstairs and shower her. as she is black from head to toe, if it were just her legs and undercarriage i would do it in the kitchen sink. i love the wet weather but with dogs its not exactly perfect lol
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 10:50 AM
We are lucky in that we walk by the sea if it`s very muddy. And not having a car helps, as the dogs have shed most of the sand by time they get home - maybe hop on the metro to Tynemouth?
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
We are lucky in that we walk by the sea if it`s very muddy. And not having a car helps, as the dogs have shed most of the sand by time they get home - maybe hop on the metro to Tynemouth?
Oh you know my neck of the woods? lol. Sounds funny someone saying that. I would prob be easier for me to walk to the beach as the metro is all the way in North Shields. May try that one 2moz for her long walk. Least, like you say all the sand should be off by the time i got back. Altho there are a few fields on the way lol i think im in a no win situation
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Having a dog with white furnishings I have the same problem but have got coping with it down to a fine art.

I have a table and two washing up bowls in the garage, when we get back from walks I put warm water in both bowls and a bit of shampoo in one then put Chloe/bowls on the table and wash her beard/legs/undercarriage then rise/rub dry with the towel. I don' touch her back .
Chloe doesn't mind this at all in fact she seems to enjoy it particularly if I dry her feet with the hairdryer which hangs on a hook next to the table
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Having a dog with white furnishings I have the same problem but have got coping with it down to a fine art.

I have a table and two washing up bowls in the garage, when we get back from walks I put warm water in both bowls and a bit of shampoo in one then put Chloe/bowls on the table and wash her beard/legs/undercarriage then rise/rub dry with the towel. I don' touch her back .
Chloe doesn't mind this at all in fact she seems to enjoy it particularly if I dry her feet with the hairdryer which hangs on a hook next to the table
omg i must say you are very organised. lol. Thats a brill idea. Wish i had a garage to something like that lol. Be so much easier than trailing thro the house and making a mess
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Yes, it can be a mess. I waste so much time on line, it is taking me years to finish up some projects in the back yard. I did finish the flagstone walk across the back of the house this year. This week I put down a line of flag stones where the fence is between grass and vegetable garden. I am left a corner of the yard with bare spots where the large stones killed the grass while I was working on the walk, plus debris too small to use.

The back yard is a challenge to grow grass. It is on the north side of the 2 story house and has a huge osage orange tree. I wasn't as careful with the top soil as I should have been when I corrected the bad grading a few years ago. Add the dogs, some more inclined to dig than others. When they have family and friends visit it is great fun to chase each other round and round the tree. There is 2 legged traffic between the back door and the garden. I am careful with weedkiller and fertilizer because of the dogs.

This weekend we will have Zephyr, a 4 year old Lab until recently a dog guide and Ivana, a yearling half sister. By himself, he spends most of the time inside, and Ivana will spend most of Saturday at a fundraiser at Walmart. Pico, a small terrier mix, will be here too. He isn't very hard on the grass, but does get muddy. Of course it is supposed to rain. We have had a very dry summer, but rain for all 3 of the fundraisers.

George, our 2 year old grandson will be here too. Zephyr will be going home with him. Zephyr enjoys fetch, so we are hoping they will have a great time together.

Hosing them down outside isn't a bad idea, except you can't risk leaving a hose where a Lab puppy can find it. Maybe I could set up a dog wash station just outside the gate.

Spreading straw is another option. It at least gets you through the spring and fall mud season.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by valandra View Post
omg i must say you are very organised. lol. Thats a brill idea. Wish i had a garage to something like that lol. Be so much easier than trailing thro the house and making a mess
You could 'smoosh' her down with a bucket of warm water and a sponge outside before going in? Would get the worst of it off before a proper bath?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >