Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chopperlodge
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2007, 04:29 AM

skin allergies

Just looking for any ideas.

2 of my dogs suffer from 'Flea Allergy Dermatitis'.
They suffer insane itching, loose hair (in the worst cases) and break out in lumps all over.

At the moment they are on vet prescribed medications but I am wondering if anyone knows of anythink else that we could try as an alternative.

We use low allergy shampoo and use a Frontline spray for the flea control.

This problem is only in the warmer months and just makes them miserable.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2007, 05:01 AM
Try the spot on frontline, it works 30 days and won't rub or wash off. Also, you could treat the environment to prevent fleas. Food grade diatomatious earth will keep fleas and other bugs out of your yard/garden.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-12-2007, 07:42 AM
Have you tried evening primrose oil or starflower oil added to the diet?

I started Finn on them last year and his skin has been great this year during his allergy season. Our vet also changed him onto Program Plus for flea treatments as we decided the best way to go with skin problems was as little as possible gets put onto his skin.
chopperlodge
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Have tried the spot on Frontline and it didn't work as well as the spray does but thanks for the tip regarding the yard & garden. That sems to be the hardest place to treat.

Carole, I will give the evening primrose oil a go. Anything is better that having to have them on medication all the time.

Thanks for your ideas/advice. It is much appreciated.
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-12-2007, 11:00 PM
my bichon Princess is the allergy queen!

as regards sores and scabs i cannot recommend Burts Bees Res-Q-ointment hightly enough. Its really greasy and does stain the coat but boy does it heal the skin!

Princess broke out in loads and loads of sores the last time she was in the groomers (new shampoo - i think) having tried everything else i just used what i use on my kids scrapes and sores and within 24 hours she stopped scratching and was completely healed later that week - dont know if this is any good for you but it may help the itching
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

04-12-2007, 12:04 AM
you could try raw spinnach with a little olive oil . Use your food processor and mulch this up and place over the meal. Not an instant cure but I assure you does help with skin allergies over a period of time. I know from personal experience when my dachshund suffered from a skin allergy .

Also apple cider vinegar is supposedly good added to drinking water to prevent flea allergies.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2007, 12:17 AM
I also know how awful this can be as one of mine suffers from this.

Somebody today was telling me they use this product and its very good. But i haven't tried it yet.

http://www.petnat.com/

I did try spinache and it didn't work for us, but i do know a few people it did work for so is worth a try.

good luck!!
chopperlodge
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-12-2007, 12:24 AM
Lovezois,
My male, who suffers the worst, loves his veg so will have a go with the spinach. Have heard of the apple cider vinegar but it was awhile ago and tell you the truth just forgot. Like I have said I'd rather try things and if it works it is much better than having the medication. Thanks for this tip.

Zoby,
Can you tell me where you can get the ointment cause I haven't heard of it here. As for staining the coat, well he's black/brindle so you really wouldn't see it anyway.

Will definately give these a try to see what works best for the kids. They usually are so full of life but for a few months each year they are miserable and it just breaks your heart, so I am really grateful for all the tips and ideas.
chopperlodge
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Thanks Shiba,
I am compiling a list so that we can try and see what works. What may work for one of them may not work for the other so it is very helpful having a few suggestions and I thank everyone for their ideas.
Avani
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Hi - I would second the primrose oil. My mum has a staffordshire bull terrier who suffers badly in the summer with a grass / hayfever allergy. She has put a capsule in her food everyday for over a year and it has really helped. The little brat will not touch her food without one now!! She used to get very itchy, bumpy skin all along her belly and underarms. When its really bad she gets a spoonful of kids hayfever relief. Not sure how this would work for a flea allergy though.

in England there is a company who sell various herbs for dogs and one of them is very good at repelling fleas / ticks. It wont list the ingrediants on the internet - but maybe there is a similer product in your country? If I buy some, I will let you know how well it works
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >