Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 07:23 PM

New Bunny coming soon!

Just had a home check from the RSPCA as we decided to get a male as company for my lonely female, Cookie. Visited the rehoming centre last saturday where they had a lovely little black and white boy called Twix. Think Cookie will love him. Got the all clear from the home checker, she even asked if were sure we only wanted one as the hutch is huge. OH coughed. I think that was a no! So off to pick up Twix on saturday. Any advice on introducing them would be much appreciated. Cookie is very laid back with the giggle pigs and has never shown an ounce of aggression so im thinking just to let them loose in the garden and hope they make friends in their own time. Will posts picks when he's home.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Yay!! I thought everything would be fine but it's always good to hear it officially! So exciting! I bet a certain young lady will be chuffed to bits when she finds out!
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
Yay!! I thought everything would be fine but it's always good to hear it officially! So exciting! I bet a certain young lady will be chuffed to bits when she finds out!
Im sure she'll be over the moon. I'll be another small furry she can sit and stare at!
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
Just had a home check from the RSPCA as we decided to get a male as company for my lonely female, Cookie. Visited the rehoming centre last saturday where they had a lovely little black and white boy called Twix. Think Cookie will love him. Got the all clear from the home checker, she even asked if were sure we only wanted one as the hutch is huge. OH coughed. I think that was a no! So off to pick up Twix on saturday. Any advice on introducing them would be much appreciated. Cookie is very laid back with the giggle pigs and has never shown an ounce of aggression so im thinking just to let them loose in the garden and hope they make friends in their own time. Will posts picks when he's home.
my daughter and Grandaughter keep rabbits they have 5 now, and when introducing a new one they normally do what you have said
so im thinking just to let them loose in the garden and hope they make friends
and it's worked well for them every time good luck with Twix
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 06:25 AM
Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
my daughter and Grandaughter keep rabbits they have 5 now, and when introducing a new one they normally do what you have said and it's worked well for them every time good luck with Twix
Thanks. im glad that works. they both seem pretty calm so im sure they'll sort things out given time!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Good luck, can't wait to see pics
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Good luck, can't wait to see pics
Thanks. I cant wait to get him home. He's a gorgeous little lad!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm just thinking does the rescue not do a bonding service? As many do, it takes away a lot of stress for the owner, and as rabbits are terriotal it will be best to do it somewhere where yours and the new bun don't know, many people also bond in the bathroom, or even putting the rabbits in a carrier and going for a drive, the theory is that if they are stressed that they will not fight each other, and also if you have any soft material toys to take them away while your introducing the buns, as they can hold the smell better, and the smell of one of the buns could cause a fight, some people don't even give the toy back to the buns afterwards. Just be careful, and if you end up getting bitten, or get vet bills thats the worst thing that could happen, just be prepared to step in when it gets too much, but leave them to have little fights before you step in, because rabbits will tumble and hair pull when they meet each other, unless its 'love at first sight' and I hope that didn't scare you .
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 10:22 AM
I just found this about the bonding of rabbits, maybe that will be of help

http://www.bobtailsrescue.org.uk/care2.asp?newsID=14
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I'm just thinking does the rescue not do a bonding service? As many do, it takes away a lot of stress for the owner, and as rabbits are terriotal it will be best to do it somewhere where yours and the new bun don't know, many people also bond in the bathroom, or even putting the rabbits in a carrier and going for a drive, the theory is that if they are stressed that they will not fight each other, and also if you have any soft material toys to take them away while your introducing the buns, as they can hold the smell better, and the smell of one of the buns could cause a fight, some people don't even give the toy back to the buns afterwards. Just be careful, and if you end up getting bitten, or get vet bills thats the worst thing that could happen, just be prepared to step in when it gets too much, but leave them to have little fights before you step in, because rabbits will tumble and hair pull when they meet each other, unless its 'love at first sight' and I hope that didn't scare you .
Lol, no dont worry. you didnt scare me. We havent had Cookie that long and she doesnt seem at all terrertorial over the garden. she shares it with the guinea pigs and has never even bothered them. Twix seems very calm so im hoping they'll just potter along together. We'll hope for love at first sight but it they decide they hate each other then so be it. They'll have a home for life with us regardless.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >