Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 11:04 AM

One dog humping the other when playing

Just wondering if anyone else's dog does this or is it just Bryan?

A (our foster staffy) likes to play tug. She often brings us toys to tug with her (or she plays tug with Bryan our other dog).

If I am playing tug with A, Bryan humps her. He's not as bad as he used to be because we are teaching him not to do it.

Does anyone else's dog do this?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 11:11 AM
yes... my hollys a humper she does it in all sorts of situations.... playing being one of them,..when her or tegan have had a season...its mostly her humping tegan... but vinnie sometimes is the victim.... they just ignore her..lol

that said as she has got older she hasnt been so bad,..
she never humps kaos..
there is a bit of dominance in it... so she wouldnt do it to him.. it never causes problems though..
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Every time we play with Chip Dale appears and humps him. Its so bad that i think twice about picking up a toy Chip doesn't seem bothered but I was wondering whither to let them sort it out or to interfere
jorjamae1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2008, 12:38 PM
yeah, my dogs hump each other, depending on the situation it can be playful or dominance, you have to read the situation, they also use this for sorting out who falls where in the pack. Jo.xx
jorjamae1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
Every time we play with Chip Dale appears and humps him. Its so bad that i think twice about picking up a toy Chip doesn't seem bothered but I was wondering whither to let them sort it out or to interfere
i think it is best to let them sort it out unless it turns into a fight, then you'll have to step in and basically let them kno that you will not tolirate such bahaviour as a "pack leader"
Jo.xxx
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Yep...My girls do it....well Tassle mainly but the pup (now 15 months) has started.

It can often be a donminance behaviour but can also be a frustration related behaviour or a tension release !
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 12:52 PM
My two never hump each other although when Takara plays with Rowdy (friend's dog) they take turns in mounting, but there's no pelvic action

Takara's terrible with beds and blankets though - she loves humping her bed and blankets and has even tried humping the sofa they have as a bed.

She's never humped anything of ours tho - she humps the dog settee but not the human's settee!
Mcpherson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2008, 01:09 PM
ok well i had the random experience of one of mine trying to hump my arm the other day. Not sure what the hell that was all about.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 01:12 PM
My old family dog used to do it when she was very very excited. ....not to other dogs but usually to people or just in the air. Think it was just caused by over excitement.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 03:17 PM
My little poodle puppy humps my cat

I shouldn't laugh at her really but it is funny the way he justs stands there and lets her
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >