Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
This is EXACTLY my point, I have a full on working line entire male GSD and a Weimaraner.

I KNOW how these types of dogs like to play, full on, so a large Rottie body slamming a Grey is just not on.

It has nothing to do with whether the Rott has a good temperament or not, my GSD has an outstanding one, but the body mass of a Rott/GSD is vastly more than that of a Grey.

I am not insinuating anything and as you have already mentioned, other dogs do not seem to like Bear, so I find it inconceivable why he was fostered with another dog at all!

There is absolutely no need to get defensive about your dog or the breed as I am not "breedist" just REALIST.
I didn't say you were, your post merely came across as if you assumed a rottweiler and a greyhound would never get along, when I believe differently. I also have a weim, she lives with a miniature dachshund amongst others, the dachs doesn't 'do' playing, she does snoozing on cushions, they get along great. My point was, different dogs with different temps can still get on, that's all.

The reason he was tried with another dog is because he has never really spent more than a few hours with another dog and I believed (and still do to a degree) that he could get on and live happily with the right dog with an experienced owner and both my dad and CCF were willing to give it a try as we all decided it was in Bear's best interest, hence why he was taken on a trial basis. It was not done without thought and those who know me on this forum will know that I don't take any animal's welfare less than 100% seriously.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Just want to send you a hug. You have done your best. Like people, not all dogs are destined to get on.

Random, have you asked any rescue for back up with rehoming Bear?
A, we have contacted all of our local rescues (those who have a non destruction policy), the Dogs Trust (sooooo many times), and a handful of rottie rescues, they have all said they don't have space for him, we have even offered a generous donation, to be honest we'd pay for anything he needed whilst in their care, but no one will take him. If you have a look I did a thread about it asking for help, a few people tried to help but none of it came to anything either.

It's such a shame for him, he really is a cracking dog and I now have back up on that!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
A, we have contacted all of our local rescues (those who have a non destruction policy), the Dogs Trust (sooooo many times), and a handful of rottie rescues, they have all said they don't have space for him, we have even offered a generous donation, to be honest we'd pay for anything he needed whilst in their care, but no one will take him. If you have a look I did a thread about it asking for help, a few people tried to help but none of it came to anything either.

It's such a shame for him, he really is a cracking dog and I now have back up on that!
Would any be prepared to do an assisted rehome? Or spread your wings further with the rotti rescues?
I know you and know you only
Want the best for him and will do your best for him xx
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 09:44 PM
so sorry this isn't working out, I will persevere with the rottie rescues up here Kelly, but i think the problem is just the fact that there is just so little room, and all rescues know it will only get worse with the influx of emergency dumps and xmas puppies handed over within the first few weeks of January...

if i get anywhere will let you know

have you posted on RAFA ???
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Would any be prepared to do an assisted rehome? Or spread your wings further with the rotti rescues?
I know you and know you only
Want the best for him and will do your best for him xx
Of course, if it were likely he would gain a good forever home. We have actually been in touch with rottie rescues as far as Scotland and offered to bring him there ourselves.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
so sorry this isn't working out, I will persevere with the rottie rescues up here Kelly, but i think the problem is just the fact that there is just so little room, and all rescues know it will only get worse with the influx of emergency dumps and xmas puppies handed over within the first few weeks of January...

if i get anywhere will let you know

have you posted on RAFA ???
Thanks Dani I do appreciate it and no, i'm not sure what that is?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 10:01 PM
And I do appreciate it will be worse for the rescues in January but we have been trying them time and time again for months, we are on a couple of waiting lists but that avenue just seems pretty hopeless.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Quite often male greyhounds won't tolerate another male dog in such close quarters, even more so when its a different kind and he could be feeling very scared and thats why he reacts as he does.
I feel sorry for guiness having to be shut in his crate so much as after all it was his home first and it must feel like he is being punished for this new dog coming into the home.
Sorry if I sound negative and I hope it works out but don't add to Guinesses stress by locking him away when you clearly say he doesn't like it.
I did wonder why you were getting another male dog when you mentioned about Bear as I thought male/female combination was generally reckoned to be the most amenable with dogs?

I hope things settle-must be very upsetting for you both.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 10:36 PM
its rescue aid for animals - they are a network of volunteers for all different rescues and they might be a good option - i will send you the link on your FB page
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-12-2011, 11:58 AM
I'm sorry to read this has not worked out. You did your best to try and make the situation work. Please don't feel bad, and I wish Bear the best of luck in finding his forever home.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >