Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:36 PM

Do you have a"best friend"?

As the title says "do you have a best friend" and what makes them the best friend? and how long have you been friends formchildhood last week and do you find they come and go as things "change/occur" in your life?
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Nope, i did have and i'd known her nearly 15 years then early last year after my ex partner died she said the most disgusting things n i cut her out my life for good,

I have a handful of very good friends but it is a handful, i dont trust people easily x
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Nope! have done in the past, throughout my education years. You get close to people if you see them day in and day out year after year. Now, I've drifted apart from them and have more acquaintances than best friends.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:56 PM
I did, but I admittedly fell a bit out of touch when I met OH and despite us both trying to patch up the friendship it just didn't seem to naturally fall back into place. Miss her friendship but it ended up being such hard work with me never knowing if we were on good terms or not, and I don't think friendships should be like that.
It's made me grow closer to a mutual friend and she definately gets all my gossip but she lives a fair bit further away. OH and I are looking to move up there (not just because of her but OH's work and house prices), so it will be nice to have someone to take out on girly nights out, pop around for a gossip with, invite out with the dogs, etc.
Being the youngest person in my office, I've found it hard to make new friends after drifting apart from college ones - everyone else has kids, husbands, etc. in common and here I am with OH being my most serious relationship (first one to last more than 3 months!), no desire to have kids, and so on.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 10:15 PM
I have 2 best friends, one of which I do not see for years at a time, but when we do meet up its as if I saw her recently...We have been friends for 30 odd years....
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 06:20 AM
My closest friend is Jackie (who I mention often on here).

We've known each other since we moved in - we live just three doors away - and that was 35 years ago.

She's 10 years older than me and has been, in turn, like a mum, and grandma to my daughter, a confidant and a very best friend. We have been through such hard times together, both financially and emotionally.

I trust her with my life.

I have also met some lovely people through Dogsey who I consider to be my friends too. Distance prevents me from seeing them as often as I would like, but they are there....

akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 06:31 AM
My best friend I only met at uni, so we've only known each other about 10 years. We don't even live close - she lives up in Weardale, east of the the lakes, me down in Cheshire.

We're like soulmates - we have the exact same morals, views, dreams, hobbies etc, have never argued and I can't go a week without having our heart to heart life chats on the phone. We're both having our first baby just a few months apart We only see each other 4/5 times a year but I LOVE seeing her.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
I have a handful of very good friends but it is a handful, i dont trust people easily x
I'm the same now, honestly, i have about 5 or 6 true 'friends' life is too hectic and people are so self obsessed these days i've lost contact with a lot because of it.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 06:39 AM
I have loads of acquaintances, but only a handful of really good friends. Some I've known for donkey's years some for only a year, but the really nice thing is, some of my long term friends, I can pick up the phone even if I haven't spoken to them for over a year, and we still get on like a house on fire and consider ourselves to be really close friends. I know even these distant friends would be there in an instant if I needed them. Some friends I've dropped coz of our change in interests over the years, and then there's others that I've dragged up again.

Friends are very important in my life, I can't be without them, whereas my husband doesn't like having "friends", he says they're all after something and he likes his own company. Funny that, coz I know some of his friends and I know how much they think of him and would always be there for him if needed, but then he is one of life's pessamists!

I like the way new ones come into your life, usually for a reason don't they, then they disappear, never to be seen again.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-06-2011, 06:41 AM
I have one very good best friend she was here yesterday for coffee. We met through work when we both worked part time in the evenings. I trained her.

Our children were small then and we have been friends for over 20 years. We have been through hell and high water together and although we do not see each other often we do keep in touch cards e-mail and phone calls. We just clicked first time we met.

I also have some good friends on Dogsey some I have met personally, some not. But I like to think of them all as friends.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >