Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I constantly treat her on walks when she comes near me. I let her off on a line to be sure I can get her back and when she comes near I treat. She is interested until another dog appears.
I have actually thought in the past of those radio controlled cars that people run on fields as a way of getting her interest (with something attached to make it more exciting). I would be interested in trying this. How would I find out about these events.

That reminds me the one thing I did find that really got her interest was a lunge line with a cloth attached for her to chase round and round. Unfortunately I only have a small back yard so it's not possible to use it there and it's a bit unwieldy to take on walks. I have never tried it in competition with other dogs but it is a bit limited going round in a small circle.
Have you tried not treating her at all, unless there is another dog near?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 08:15 PM
i would defintally not withdraw her from other dogs,

Tell me "how" you use the line when shes with other dogs.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
i would defintally not withdraw her from other dogs,

Tell me "how" you use the line when shes with other dogs.
not saying to stop her going near other dogs...but i am saying she shouldn't be allowed offlead around other dogs if she is so worked up she is shaking...
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
not saying to stop her going near other dogs...but i am saying she shouldn't be allowed offlead around other dogs if she is so worked up she is shaking...
Lol id agree with that, Id wait till she had calmed down certainly. It may be shes shaking getting wound up because its been used as a "mega bonus jackpot" id be trying to put the emphasis on something as a OWNER i can control.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Lol id agree with that, Id wait till she had calmed down certainly. It may be shes shaking getting wound up because its been used as a "mega bonus jackpot" id be trying to put the emphasis on something as a OWNER i can control.
Yep, I agree.
She needs to stop seeing playing with other dogs as such a mega reward and that will take time to achieve.

Talassie..does she get to play with all the dogs she sees?
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
If she is shaking she is stressed and hyped up, that's not a good point at which to let her offlead IMO...she will associate the dogs and play with that feeling, the shaking and hyper feeling. You need her to change that association and she should only be allowed to go and play when she is calm. If she isn't calm she doesn't play. Whilst I have no doubt that she is a lovely dog around other dogs, letting her offlead to play when she is so excited she is shaking is, IMO a recipe for disaster...
She needs to associate the other dogs with being calm.

In what way doesn't she respond well to touch in training? Does she not like it? Is it anywhere specific she doesn't like to be touched? How is she if you touch her when out and about?
Sorry I'm not being totally accurate here. She doesn't shake all the time, often she sits still and waits to be released. The shaking is more when she hasn't had any interaction for a long time or with one or two dogs she knows really well.
We lie the dogs on a mat at the end of the class and get on the floor to massage or stroke them to relax them but my dog moves away from my hand after a minute or so. It doesn't relax her in that situation. One of the trainers is TTouch trained but we haven't been given particular instruction in it.
I would say she gets irritated with being touched when she is out and about but I would have to experiment because I don't really do it much.

Forgot to say the tracking is something I have thought about and I intend to go on a course next year. She does like to follow a scent. In the past I have waited until other dogs were a long way away before letting her free and she ran along the track they left way into the distance She was a long way away, becoming just a tiny speck, no way to get there soon enough and I took a big chance and ran screaming the other way and it worked but I think only because they were on a lead and still a good distance from her!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Also have you tryed letting other people hold her, whilst you run off going crazy, calling her etc, like you would introduce a puppy recall?

this should get her GSD instinct (to be with her mum) to kick in abit!!!!!

Have you tried hiding food in her toys to heighten their Value?

Have you tried abit of Basic tracking to heighten their value?

When im playing with my dogs, its Hard work, i REALLY play!!!!! But its taken awhile to get it like this!!!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
Sorry I'm not being totally accurate here. She doesn't shake all the time, often she sits still and waits to be released. The shaking is more when she hasn't had any interaction for a long time or with one or two dogs she knows really well.
We lie the dogs on a mat at the end of the class and get on the floor to massage or stroke them to relax them but my dog moves away from my hand after a minute or so. It doesn't relax her in that situation. One of the trainers is TTouch trained but we haven't been given particular instruction in it.
I would say she gets irritated with being touched when she is out and about but I would have to experiment because I don't really do it much.

Forgot to say the tracking is something I have thought about and I intend to go on a course next year. She does like to follow a scent. In the past I have waited until other dogs were a long way away before letting her free and she ran along the track they left way into the distance She was a long way away, becoming just a tiny speck, no way to get there soon enough and I took a big chance and ran screaming the other way and it worked but I think only because they were on a lead and still a good distance from her!
I owuld speak to the trainer that is TTOUched trained. What have the trainers said about her moving away? How is she in general in the class?
If she isn't too happy about being touched at the end of class..I am wondering if she is 'stressed' there too and too focused on other things/dogs (stressed here emaning hyped up and edgy..)
How is she around the house if you sit and stroke her?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Also have you tryed letting other people hold her, whilst you run off going crazy, calling her etc, like you would introduce a puppy recall?

this should get her GSD instinct (to be with her mum) to kick in abit!!!!!

Have you tried hiding food in her toys to heighten their Value?

Have you tried abit of Basic tracking to heighten their value?

When im playing with my dogs, its Hard work, i REALLY play!!!!! But its taken awhile to get it like this!!!!
They sell a fab toy at our agility class that is a rope toy, with 2 pockets that have velcro on...so the dog has to go get the toy..lured by the smell of a tasty treat in the velcro pocket, then is rewarded when it gives the toy back after the game Maybe something like that would help here?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 08:34 PM
i have a calm Position when out, My dog sits between my legs looking forward in a resverse present. I can hold the collar under the chim if required & feed feed feed if required. I also can basically ignore the dog but can "feel" it relax.

Obvisley you start this in doors, ...garden....empty park,..... etc etc
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »