Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Yep very simple: it's nothing to do with population control! Destroying a healthy fox who manages to escape will not help the fox population as people claim hunting with hounds does!

And I wouldn't call chasing down an animal across the countryside for no reason a spectacle, abhorrent maybe, but certainly not a spectacle.
No,it really is for the reasons i already stated.Some farmers regard foxes as an occupational hazzard while others loathe them and want them culled at any cost.

As for it being abhorent-this is where we will agree to disagree.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
No,it really is for the reasons i already stated.Some farmers regard foxes as an occupational hazzard while others loathe them and want them culled at any cost.

As for it being abhorent-this is where we will agree to disagree.
Definitely!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Definitely!
I still like having a good debate with you Rips.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I still like having a good debate with you Rips.
At least someone does!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Firstly, I am going to say that I am not anti-hunting. Hunting to me, is when you are killing an animal FOR something, like food. I have no problem with that.

Fox 'hunting' is a blood sport, plain and simple IMO. That is something I will NEVER agree with, it is completely barbaric and sickening... I do not understand how people can agree with it, and even more so, I cannot understand how animal lovers can agree with it... that isn't an animal lover IMO.

Chasing an animal for miles is not humane. Letting hounds rip an animal apart is not humane. A clean shot by a gun is humane.

I think the comparison of a pet dog killing a wild animal to fox hunting is ridiculous. I will admit that Jake has killed rabbits, every time though the ONLY reason he actually managed to catch them, was because he caught them by surprise. He caught them quick, and he killed them quick. It is certainly not something I encourage, but sometimes these things do just happen... twice he has killed them, and I didn't even know the rabbit was there until he killed it! That is very different to if he chased a rabbit for a huge distance while it ran, terrified, for its life, only to be them torn apart alive.

People can use whatever 'excuse' they like for why they agree with fox hunting, I don't buy it. As far as I am concerned, people enjoy the killing... no person IMO should enjoy killing anything, if animals are killed it should be because it is NEEDED and not because it is ENJOYED.

I hope the ban remains, and better enforcement is put in place.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Firstly, I am going to say that I am not anti-hunting. Hunting to me, is when you are killing an animal FOR something, like food. I have no problem with that.

Fox 'hunting' is a blood sport, plain and simple IMO. That is something I will NEVER agree with, it is completely barbaric and sickening... I do not understand how people can agree with it, and even more so, I cannot understand how animal lovers can agree with it... that isn't an animal lover IMO.

Chasing an animal for miles is not humane. Letting hounds rip an animal apart is not humane. A clean shot by a gun is humane.

I think the comparison of a pet dog killing a wild animal to fox hunting is ridiculous. I will admit that Jake has killed rabbits, every time though the ONLY reason he actually managed to catch them, was because he caught them by surprise. He caught them quick, and he killed them quick. It is certainly not something I encourage, but sometimes these things do just happen... twice he has killed them, and I didn't even know the rabbit was there until he killed it! That is very different to if he chased a rabbit for a huge distance while it ran, terrified, for its life, only to be them torn apart alive.

People can use whatever 'excuse' they like for why they agree with fox hunting, I don't buy it. As far as I am concerned, people enjoy the killing... no person IMO should enjoy killing anything, if animals are killed it should be because it is NEEDED and not because it is ENJOYED.

I hope the ban remains, and better enforcement is put in place.
I think that is what it comes down to at the end of the day. Some toffs like a jolly old knees up in the country. I don't think it has anything to do with pest control or conservation -- like a few foxes being killed in that manner is going to make any difference on the population!

People can sugar coat it as much as they like, but it is a bloodsport pure and simple. No need to beat around the bush about it.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I think that is what it comes down to at the end of the day. Some toffs like a jolly old knees up in the country. I don't think it has anything to do with pest control or conservation -- like a few foxes being killed in that manner is going to make any difference on the population!

People can sugar coat it as much as they like, but it is a bloodsport pure and simple. No need to beat around the bush about it.
I guess I'm one of these toffs that likes a jolly old knees up in the country then.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
I guess I'm one of these toffs that likes a jolly old knees up in the country then.
If killing innocent animals is your thing...
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 01:36 AM
No one says it better than Mark Twain

"Of all the creatures, man is the most detestable. *Of the entire brood, he is the one who possesses malice.*He is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain. The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to the other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong, proves his moral inferiority to any creature that can not."
Mark Twain
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-01-2012, 06:14 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
no person IMO should enjoy killing anything, if animals are killed it should be because it is NEEDED and not because it is ENJOYED.
Then why would around 80% of us do what we do? I personally am not a farmer,or landowner,but i am however asked to cull various species and why do i do this-because i enjoy shooting.Should i stop because i feel no remorse or continue?

If there wasnt people who took an active role in countryside management who would do it?
Page 9 of 27 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »