Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
patterdale
New Member!
Male 

02-05-2011, 07:55 PM

How much& often should i feed my pup?

Hi guys i"m new to this so bare with me.
My question is, the breeder is insisting i collect my patterdale terrier pup at 6wks old.
I could use any advice on the feeding schedule and food types. Many thanks.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Whilst some dogs do leave the breeder at 6 weeks, breeders do not usually insist.

Is there some particular reason for the haste, can they not wait another week?

Also it is usual for breeders to provide a feeding chart with frequency, food and amount on.

Basically usually 4 times a day and most commercial food will have guideline amounts.

Remember to take a large 5 litre container with you to bring back some water, it is often the change of water that upsets tums..............

HTH
patterdale
New Member!
Male 

02-05-2011, 08:03 PM
The word insist is maybe a bit strong. It is what the breeder believes in and what he believes is best for the dogs. Thanks for the tip on the water, also will ask if we can collect a week later
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Ring before hand and ask the breeder what they are feeding the pups so that you can get some in stock. At 6-7 weeks pups will be on 4 meals a day - the breeder will advise you on that as well.

Start now by writing down your questions on paper so that when you go to collect pup you wont forget to ask anything

Good luck + look forward toseeing photos of your new arrival
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2011, 08:35 AM
good luck with your new addition

basically whats already been said. i wouldnt want a pup at 6 weeks old, but i know people who have done and havent had a problem. maybe see if they will keep it for another week, if not then i wouldnt worry.

go with the four meals a day, and just ask the breeder what food the pups are on.
patterdale
New Member!
Male 

03-05-2011, 08:03 PM
many many thanks guys for the tips, i"m looking forward to her moving in and giving her the best start that i can i will keep folks up on the progress and some photos. Thanks again.