Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 10:07 AM
basically...

With one Jump you should be able to teach all your direction commands.

Sending the dog over and to teh right, sending the dog over and to the left...sending the dog out around the outsideto the left (and right) calling the dog over and back and sending the dog around the jump without jumping.

Start off doing a figure of eight...sending the dog over and round to the left...then the right (or vice versa)

then start adding your directrion commands....

then make it harder by sending the dog around the same way 2-3 times...to start getting the idea of turing away from you.....

I always do it standing behind the jump and starting the dog left or right...that way you can practise the dog going away or towards.

It is often a useful one to do it practise on your own...especially if you have not got much (or any) equipment....2 buckets and a broom handle are great

Elenor and Ian Blachin taught us that one...many moons ago. Elenor also use to teach the dogs twirls and spins around jump wings.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
basically...

With one Jump you should be able to teach all your direction commands.

Sending the dog over and to teh right, sending the dog over and to the left...sending the dog out around the outsideto the left (and right) calling the dog over and back and sending the dog around the jump without jumping.

Start off doing a figure of eight...sending the dog over and round to the left...then the right (or vice versa)

then start adding your directrion commands....

then make it harder by sending the dog around the same way 2-3 times...to start getting the idea of turing away from you.....

I always do it standing behind the jump and starting the dog left or right...that way you can practise the dog going away or towards.

It is often a useful one to do it practise on your own...especially if you have not got much (or any) equipment....2 buckets and a broom handle are great

Elenor and Ian Blachin taught us that one...many moons ago. Elenor also use to teach the dogs twirls and spins around jump wings.
Thanks . That will give me plenty to do while the club has its summer break And I can do it in a small garden
EnR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2009, 04:43 PM
My trainer doesn't use left and right, he says it's all done with body language. If you want to practise one jump drills, there are some examples and diagrams on agilitynerd.
Am I allowed to post links?
http://agilitynerd.com/blog/agility/...JumpDrills.htm
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by EnR View Post
My trainer doesn't use left and right, he says it's all done with body language. If you want to practise one jump drills, there are some examples and diagrams on agilitynerd.
Am I allowed to post links?
http://agilitynerd.com/blog/agility/...JumpDrills.htm
I don't use left and right either - I can never get my head around it.

I do use a this way command to come towards me and an Away command to teach the dog to go away from me.
EnR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2009, 05:14 PM
The words don't matter as long as you're consistent. You can use sausage and bacon if you like!

I have trouble getting Rossi to go in a straight line, never mind left and right. Enzo does seem to get it with just me turning my shoulders, though.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by EnR View Post
The words don't matter as long as you're consistent. You can use sausage and bacon if you like!

I have trouble getting Rossi to go in a straight line, never mind left and right. Enzo does seem to get it with just me turning my shoulders, though.
I have spent ages with mine teaching them to reposd to verbal cues (in agility/ob and HtM)

I'm a bit lazy....my training sessions tend to involve me sitting on the edge and sending the dog around

ETA - think I didn't explain properly. The This way and Away commands are not left and right - but come towards me or go away from me.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2