Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Think of it from your Mum's stance for a minute. If you are her only daughter, I'm not, i have one sister, but my sister has always been the wild rebel and is planning on getting married in Goa, India, eek!

On top of that, to be told in a text how much you love your Dad but no mention at all about your love for your Mum....well that's gotta hurt her a lot. I never even thought of that but only because the point I was making was that she was twisting it to say 'you're breaking your dad's heart' so i had to say that i felt she was saying that because she knows how much I love him

Yes, she is out of order making out its your Dad that wants the wedding. But most Dad's would want to walk their daughter down the isle even if they didn't want the rest of the stress that went with it. And perhaps she didn't feel that you would take her wishes into consideration like you would your Dads? True
She hasn't rang yet, (she lives over 2 hours away so can't go an talk to her) i know she probably will soon, i can only tell her how i really feel and see what she says I guess
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 08:30 PM
I admit...if my son did that,(no big wedding, going to Gretna) I would try not to say anything and i would be happy for him, but I would be really really sad that I wasn't there for one of the biggest events in his life.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 08:31 PM
She has a sister! I think things happen for a reason and maybe this has happened because of Zeke? It is obvious to everyone on here how much he means to you and I would imagine with the original honeymoon you may have been fretting and not enjoyed it as much,so this new plan sounds perfect.Good excuse to have a far flung holiday in the future as well Your Mom will come round and if she doesn't that's her loss,I know someone who is having similar problems so your not alone,Have a great time whatever you do!
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Aw thank you xxx I think it sounds lovely and romantic too, and more 'us'. Everyone in real life (LOL) has said the same, and that it's 'our' day so...*two fingers up at mum*.

Do you know what's worse, you probably know our Zeke has had cancer and it's likely to return 6-12 months time, I've been dreading the arrangements for leaving him on the wedding day and night with someone else - that will be the 6 month mark. This new way we get to take the dogs with us, Zeke is my absolute everything. How can she be so heartless
then you need to stick to your guns, your mum will come round they always do. It will be so special with the dogs there x
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
We did it for the family,not for us.I knwo it is YOUR day...but it is also your family and friends day as they want to celebrate it with you because they love you. They want to see you married.

I agree you need to do your thing...but to go from big event to Gretna is a leap...
It is a leap, my dad said he was 'shocked'.

Yeah but see, i had already agreed to do it for the family and my friends, but it fell through and i've used that as my escape really, it's true, there aren't a lot of venues left that are in our price range and the stress is unreal.. I honestly felt a bit relieved when it fell through but would never tell my parents that.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Maybe you both need to take a step back and consider what`s important here.
A wedding isn`t a party. It`s the start of two people`s lives together.
The most important thing is that the bride and groom will be able to look on it as a rite of passage. And to declare their love to each other.
You can do that in a tent. Cut the apron strings.
If your mother wants a big party, suggest she and your dad plan a big anniversary bash.
Perfect advice........

Hugs hon - you can't choose your family....
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by EGYPTGAL View Post
She has a sister! I think things happen for a reason and maybe this has happened because of Zeke? It is obvious to everyone on here how much he means to you and I would imagine with the original honeymoon you may have been fretting and not enjoyed it as much,so this new plan sounds perfect.Good excuse to have a far flung holiday in the future as well Your Mom will come round and if she doesn't that's her loss,I know someone who is having similar problems so your not alone,Have a great time whatever you do!
We decided we weren't going on honeymoon because of Zeke just yet, but even just leaving him for the day and night was concerning me, especially as all my friends and family were at the wedding so he would be looked after by a stranger basically! (won't put him in kennels now incase he is ill).

I do honestly believe it's happened as a roll on from our troubles with Zeke, and also to save my blooming relationship with my oh - he was getting so stressed about the wedding, not only did he not really want a big wedding but also he has always been dead set against my parents paying for it, but we have all just ignored him
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 08:39 PM
I would be gutted if my son did it...so much so that I have now added it to my things to worry about when he grows up list....
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
We decided we weren't going on honeymoon because of Zeke just yet, but even just leaving him for the day and night was concerning me, especially as all my friends and family were at the wedding so he would be looked after by a stranger basically! (won't put him in kennels now incase he is ill).

I do honestly believe it's happened as a roll on from our troubles with Zeke, and also to save my blooming relationship with my oh - he was getting so stressed about the wedding, not only did he not really want a big wedding but also he has always been dead set against my parents paying for it, but we have all just ignored him
When we got married, our old BC (15) had a major stroke about 5 days before. We missed the start of the reception because we were at home checking on him..as well as the start of the meal.
We got lots of comments of course 'we know what you've been up to' and I was like...'yep...picking up dog s*** and nursing a sick dog'
Sort of how our lives have been since...revolving around the dogs!!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 09:00 PM
As a Mother of many including my own two grown up sons, I'd be hurt

Mothers do not have a practice run at being a Mom, but I figure we do try to do our best, although we don't always get it right.
You say your sister is the wild one, but I am guessing if Mom had a wish or two she would want a wedding with photos of both of you and her and your Dad there.....just to show all and sundry....'hey this is my daughters wedding', 'doesn't she look beautiful', 'we are so proud' 'yes he's a lovely chap'...etc etc etc, because thats we Mom's do
We are a funny bunch us Mom's, but don;t fall out try talking and compromise. Do you know what I say to my sons....and we do fall out from time to time....I did over my youngest son's wedding because I felt excluded 'the day you were both born I was so overwhelmed'
and its times like this that Mom's still want to be part of thier ''babies'' lives

whatever you decide have a great day but make friends thats my advice
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »