Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Tell me about it.. Ella is terrified whenever they start. She's peed twice already in the flat and is a shivering wreck at times. I'm thinking of resorting to adaptil or kalm aid or something, anyone got any experience in that?
I hope Rosie and you are ok and that she's not too stressed out :S
We're using the Adaptil diffuser and Zylkene for Habibi. Honestly, I can't tell you how well it works, because her response is so severe, but if it helps calm her even a little bit, I'm happy to keep buying it. We also put music on-- I try to find something with a rhythmic beat, so she has thumps to fall back on-- Afro-Celt Sound System are my band of choice. They are pretty awesome and we listen to them a lot so it's all normal if they're on.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2013, 10:06 PM
In all seriousness, we could do this. Get an informational video out. We've got families, owners, trainers, behaviourists, vets, with all our experience. It could help!

(sorry-- just gonna quote myself.
I know they're pretty and they're fun and they're traditional and blah blah blah. I do believe that if people knew the misery they cause to animals and children, a lot of people wouldn't set them off. It would be good if we could get a major message out. Any YouTube geniuses amongst us?)
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by Strangechilde View Post
In all seriousness, we could do this. Get an informational video out. We've got families, owners, trainers, behaviourists, vets, with all our experience. It could help!

(sorry-- just gonna quote myself.
I know they're pretty and they're fun and they're traditional and blah blah blah. I do believe that if people knew the misery they cause to animals and children, a lot of people wouldn't set them off. It would be good if we could get a major message out. Any YouTube geniuses amongst us?)
I think it would be a great idea, if there are people who are good at that sort of thing, I'm useless at stuff like that.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Mandyuk1 View Post
I think it would be a great idea, if there are people who are good at that sort of thing, I'm useless at stuff like that.
Doesn't matter. If you've got a smartphone or know someone who does, you can take pictures or video. We're not pros here, we're just people! But we might be able to put something together, together.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Strangechilde View Post
Doesn't matter. If you've got a smartphone or know someone who does, you can take pictures or video. We're not pros here, we're just people! But we might be able to put something together, together.
What are you thinking, we all take videos of our dogs in that state? Sort of like a compilation of the effects of fireworks?
I'd feel a bit bad for filming poor Bells in that state but would be willing to do it if it's for the 'greater good'
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Something like that, yeah, or short clips of us explaining what it's like, the things we have to do to lessen the trauma, how we can't go for normal walks, the vet treatments we use, that sort of thing. I hate to see Bibi in that state but I think maybe if I could show people what it does to her, it might indeed serve the greater good.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Maybe you should start a separate thread with your idea, so everybody can participate if they want?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-10-2013, 08:54 AM
I wonder what people would do if it was not just fireworks but your "neighbours" firing rockets and missiles at you.

Fireworks are nothing like living in a war zone, distressing though they might be for the dogs.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Mollie just took herself off to her blanket covered den that my husband made ready earlier in the day for her, but Betty took us by surprise by standing in the window and just watching them going off, tail wagging and quite excited !
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 09:24 AM
My sympathies totally regarding dogs being terrified of fireworks. My last little dog was and I once gave her a sedative from the vet. I say once because it was awful and she was still just as scared but unable to move so I think it was even more distressing for her.

Fortunately my current two dogs take no notice at all. When they were only about 3-4 months old a neighbour had a firework display as part of their wedding anniversary celebrations and when the dogs heard them we rushed outside on to the balcony and stood watching them .... as a result loud noises have never been a problem to them.

I use to dread this time of year and feel so desperately sorry for the all animals that are so terrified of them .... and understandably so.

Malka - my sympathies to you living in a war zone but I have to admit I wouldn't choose to live in one.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >