View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2011, 09:02 AM

Toying with the idea of a cat instead of another dog?

The OH would like a cat (it'd have to be a kitten so the dogs could get used to it and vice versa).

I did try and get out of it by saying we couldn't afford one - but then he caught me up on the next dog "If we can afford another dog then we can afford a cat instead" I suppose it is true..

I have a huge garden, but is next to a busy road. There is plenty of wildlife and it would be useful as we have rabbits - to keep mice away. Louie and Sadie are cat friendly - they do chase but if the cat stops it's no longer a game so they give up..

There are other cats living in the area - although you rarely see them..

Any ideas? I'm not a huge cat fan, but I wouldn't mind something smaller than a 27kg dog sitting on my lap at night ..
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Get a Coco she only weighs 3 kg..:P
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Cats are great, but I'd never let one loose outside. The statistics are aweful. the average lifespan of a cat that roams freely outside is 2 years (in Canada) the average lifespan of a cat that's never allowed free outside is 15.

I cant have cats (too allergic) but I adore them and wish I could have one! But I'd keep them indoors, or if I could afford it, I'd build a cat run.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2011, 10:08 AM
I started off last year with one cat & now have 3, they are addictive

I agree though best to keep indoors with option
of cat run - as we have. Its attached to end of the house & they go through cat flap into it - you can get flaps that can be put in glass, ie a window, if they are brought up from a kitten, they know no different. When ours are in the run, the dogs rarely go far from it & our garden is extensive

The insect life has decreased a lot from we got cats, they 'hunt' them down, rarely see spiders now & you should see a cat springing in mid air to catch a blue bottle (fly), rarely miss plus anything that comes into the run is fair game.

Theyre great pets, we have one you can train like a dog, he is very clever that way, other two arent interested - big yawn

Plus rescues are overflowing with kittens at minute & if yiu get two together they sre sooooo entertaining All you need to do is have your litter tray in place when you bring kitten home ( highly recommend hooded or covered type & remove or tie flap up for few weeks until kitten bigger - they love the secludedness/private "room" to toilet in, when you bring kitten in, take immediately to litter tray & set him or her in it so they know where it is & they have one & that is your house training done

This is our purpose built run - just after completion. Have put up shelves etc since

Taken thru the cat flap

Upturned feedbins make great hiding places & seats!

Venturing out for first time, our latest kitten

I keep grass longish as they love hiding in it & its cooler for them when its hot

A cute pic!!

Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2011, 10:09 AM
not all cats will sit on your knee...and the vaccines cost alot more for an outdoor cat than a dog(i dont believe in keeping a cat in)......other than that cant see why not lol.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
not all cats will sit on your knee...and the vaccines cost alot more for an outdoor cat than a dog(i dont believe in keeping a cat in)......other than that cant see why not lol.
Do they, where you are? Because of the cat run we pay for outside vaccines but didnt find it anymore expensive than the dogs, in fact it was less & Tim was boostered in August.

True when young they dont always want to sit on your knee, althout our Tortie kitten loves to cuddle on your knee. As they get older the knee hogging gets more frequent

They adore lying on the bed with you
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2011, 10:31 AM
I have two dogs and two cats and most of the time they get on fantastically. Only if they run out then my younger dog thinks it's a good game of chase but she also will share her bed with the cats. I take my dogs and cats to vets 4 pets and they do vaccinations with health checks free for life after paying one amount of £99. I never used to be that bothered with cats until I got one and then I loved it to bits. I let mine out when they want to go out via cat flap but to be honest they tend to stay in a lot.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2011, 10:47 AM
We used to have 8, now down to 4 as we lost the others due to old age, and my black prince 'eddy' was run over

Wouldn't be without them TBH, although they are all vaccinated to go out, mine tend to be house-cats...they can go out just choose to be indoors rather than out

But what you need is a cat, chickens, horses, furries and dogs.............just like me
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Do they, where you are? Because of the cat run we pay for outside vaccines but didnt find it anymore expensive than the dogs, in fact it was less & Tim was boostered in August.

True when young they dont always want to sit on your knee, althout our Tortie kitten loves to cuddle on your knee. As they get older the knee hogging gets more frequent

They adore lying on the bed with you
you are lucky! primary courses for all cat vaccines cost around the £100 mark! obviously boosters are cheaper.

gorgeous fur babes btw
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2011, 11:54 AM
I only paid £50 for Louie's first course of vaccs and a microchip and £27 for his boosters..
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »