Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CarolineM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-08-2010, 02:47 PM

Rat rescue (Past pics)

A few years ago I ran a rat rescue from home and thought I would post some pictures of the beauties we had in. All but one have now gone to new homes after a variety of past experiences. I once had an ex breeder bring in a large cage of 150 rats which I had to hand wash and seperate into sexes. Unfortunately a lot were pregnant, here are some of the baby pics of those and some of the males cage when we first had them in. As you can imagine it was very hectic!!!

All have gone to pet only homes where they will not be bred from and will not have to suffer the environment they were previously in <3

tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Aww, look at those gorgeous little babies. I cant imagine my fat lumps ever being that tiny!
CarolineM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Hehe! it is such a shame because the litters the mothers had were of about 25 each. But luckily some of the other females in the pen were lactating due to the amount pregnant and were able to surrogate. The mothers still left several to die in order to make the litter more manageable but it is natures way and unfortunately it happens. I decided not to single pen the mothers as it was very clear to me that most of them had had litters before and with the number reaching its 50's it was impossible for me to put each pregnant rat in a seperate cage. Luckily though they all worked together and as soon as they were old enough the babies were seperated from the adults and put in their own same sex colonies and were rehomed. A happy tale for some horrible backgrounds
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Poor rats, nothing more than breeding machines for people. Glad they all found happy homes in the end though. Well done, that must have been some task to rehome all of those!
CarolineM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-08-2010, 03:09 PM
I have some articles from the paper i will have to find and scan. This was harder than rehoming 80 giant african landsnails! I was actually on BBC news with those and had a lot of radio support luckily!