Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 11:59 AM

Will I always have a wierd bun.

I put this on a rabbit forum, but thought that I would try here too, incase anyone has any ideas at all, because I am getting a bit stressed about this problem now, it seems to rear its head everynow and then, and isn't fair on any of the rabbits I own/owned, and I'm pretty sure that soon I will end up with less hair (espcailly as I was sat down with Drew once and he started to pull my hair too )

Its Drew, again, him and Harmony do not live together, but live side by side, and share a bit of the side of Drews run as a boundry to separate the runs that they are in, the rabbits actually do live side by side quite happily, and will lay next to each other up against the run side, but they wont bond, at least not easily, they have both been to the vets because of various cuts and scraps, and I have nursed a few too, I have tried everything I can think of, I've done different nuetral areas, no joy, I can't even get them in the car, as I've put them in a carrier together, and even carrying them to the car they are fighting, and I'm thinking that putting them in different smaller carriers wont get the desired results, and I don't want to risk putting them together in the car and moving them around, as the only space big enough for the carrier that they both can fit in is the boot, and I don't really want to be moving around rabbits with the boot open so I can do it.

Anyway like I said the rabbits are happy as they are, but there is also some issues, anyone who knows of the issues I have had with Drew may not be surprised, Drew has managed to take all the whiskers of Harmony's face, he has also managed to create a small bold patch on her face, what I don't get though is all the space Harmony has in her run why does she allow this to happen? She must stay laying there, while he does it? I have tried various things with Drew, he has stopped chewing his own fur, I did have some pics of what he did to himself, with all the bruising and bold patch, but not sure if I put them on here, after that he started on his toes, but they didn't get so bad, and now he's doing this. I've tried different things with Drew, we do a bit of jumping, he gets out, handled etc, as much as possible, he gets at least one new toy every two weeks (when I go into town), he gets his toys swapped around, he is only fed out of his treat ball, so he always has to work for it, and I change the size of the opening so that he has to work harder some days, and its easier other days, I hide things around the room for him to find when he's out of his run, in his run he has different textures, he has soft items, hard items, rope and chew items, but I really now do not know what to do, I can't have him free range all the time because he digs the carpet as soon as he can, and I can't have holey carpets, espcailly in a rented property, Harmony has free range more often, as she can be trusted, even when I'm not there, she will normally lay on my bed, or even look out of the window, but even free range she will go and lay next to Drews run, and he will start grooming her, and then will start pulling at her fur or whiskers. What else can I do? The only thing I can think of is make sure that Harmony and Drew do not come into any contact with each other, but that could be hard, as the room he is in is also the room the rabbits mainly play in, and although that will prevent the problem it wont solve it. Is there anything else I can do, or is he always going to do this?
Shani
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Hi,
I used to have a female rabbit then after a few yrs i was given a male rabbit. (i kept both as house rabbits) For the first few weeks they got on fine, but after i had him 'de-cobbled' she took a serious dislike to him. She'd chase him round & bite chunks of fur from him, I finished up letting them out sepratly, not letting them make physical contact. I did try them together on sevral occasions over the yrs but it always went the same way ... she attacking him, on one occasion she managed to bite a big mouthful of fur from his back end which left him with a bald patch for a while, after that i didn't risk it again. Luckly their vet appointments were always months apart so i only ever had to take one at a time.
So that's how i had to do things, she hated him right to the end.

RIP: Smudge & Tigger
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Aww poor boy, with mine its a bit of both of them lol, when together they will be happy for a while, and then will fly at each other, both giving as good as they get, and both starting it at different times although they have been together for ages and then start, but its getting wierd how she will let him pull of all her wiskers.