Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2009, 08:20 AM

Jealousy!

Paul took Missy out for her early morning walk this morning and she met up with Stan the EBT. She was brilliant with him apparently ( I was still in bed) and the greeting and walking went well.

I've just taken the Chief out and we met Stanley again. Missy sniffed his nose gently, sniffed his bottom. Excellent result

Then when Stanley moved to come get a fuss from me she barked her fool head off, right in his face!
Stan's owner said she doesn't do it with Paul, only if I'm holding her

So I handed her lead to the owner's friend who was also there and again she was great with Stan.

I went over to Stan and patted him and Missy went barky again. Me and Stan walked away and I fussed him and the screeching - you'd have thought my Miss was being killed.

So my little stinker - she is not so much scared of dogs, more jealous of her mum making a fuss of another.
What would you do? Not make a fuss of any other dog whilst you walk her?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Think yourself lucky it's only barking hun.

Bruce has a no bark policy if I fuss another dog......great I hear you say No instead he has a lip curl policy with a ''wanna look at my luvvvvvy pearly whites, near your head''.............me i just say No Leave and carry on fussing....as we say ''plenty to go round''
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-07-2009, 09:05 AM
Is she trying to protect you maybe?
I would tell her to sit and stay while I said hello to the other dog. Then you can make a big fuss of her for doing as she was told. If she has something to do and gets a reward for it, then hopefully she'll see you are in control and there's nothing for her to worry about.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Think yourself lucky it's only barking hun.

Bruce has a no bark policy if I fuss another dog......great I hear you say No instead he has a lip curl policy with a ''wanna look at my luvvvvvy pearly whites, near your head''.............me i just say No Leave and carry on fussing....as we say ''plenty to go round''
Glad I'm not the only one who has a dog like it, mom.
I'll try the "leave" Missy does know that one.

Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
Is she trying to protect you maybe?
I would tell her to sit and stay while I said hello to the other dog. Then you can make a big fuss of her for doing as she was told. If she has something to do and gets a reward for it, then hopefully she'll see you are in control and there's nothing for her to worry about.
No, not protective. Lots of other situations she doesn't do this in where she could protect.
I didn't type it, but she was in a sit when I gave her to the other lad. She just wailed the second I touched Stanley and didn't stop until I stopped. Wouldn't obey "quiet" either and she knows that command too!
Which is why I think its a kind of jealousy, or a worry I won't come back to her.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2009, 03:09 PM
aw bless, I have the same fool here - he does exactly the same thing, whinges until i stop petting the other dog... pathetic really !! but does make you feel kinda loved !!!

glad that Missy is getting on with her new EBT boyf !!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Dani, we've just got back in from another walk and this time she met her Staffy boyfriend Stan.
She's actually miles better with him as he's 7 and not so bouncy as EBT Stan.

I told staffy Stan's owner about the jealousy thing so again - what a lovely bloke - he stood with me and we had a chat. Missy sniffed Stan nicely nose to nose and then went to go in his garden.
He sniffed her bits, she got the hump and barked at him!
I told her "gently" this time, which she knows to mean be gentle when she takes something - and she was

She sniffed him nose and then bits, very gently.
She took a fuss for Stan's owner when he was holding Stan and they were only an inch apart without a problem.
I fussed Stan and she started to grumble - so I told her "gently" again and she stood away at the end of her lead, just staring at him, and not grumbling or barking

Stan the staff is a better match, that's for sure. He's very steady. Brilliant owner too
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2009, 06:44 PM
all these dogs called Stan - its very confusing !! LOL

Staffies are better anyway Missy !! LOL : runs before Inki sees that post !!!