View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fetchmyslippers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-05-2009, 11:55 AM

How to bathe Rocky's paws in salt water / Malaseb ?

Hi,

My black lab Rocky has persistent cists in between his toes, and the vet has advised me to bathe his paws in salt water every day, and once a week in Malaseb.

So there I was this morning, chasing him round the garden with a bucket of salt water ! Any tips for getting him to co-operate ?!?! I was thinking of getting some kind of big tray/tub/thingy and persuade him to stand in it (in the garden, obviously), but as I'll need to do it every day I would rather just dip each paw if possible.

PS Can you tell I'm a novice dog owner ... ?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 12:02 PM

Does he know how to sit and give his paw?

If so, I would take a couple of treats the bucket and a seat outside. I'd put the bucket infront of the chair, sit down and call Rocky to me, make him sit and then ask for his paw. When he gives you his paw, quickly dip it in the bucket and then give him a treat.

Next time, you might want to leave his paw in the water a bit longer before he gets the treat and once he's comfortable with that, you could try spreading out his toes when his paws are in the water.

If all else fails, you'll just have to move your daily walk to the beach and get him to run into the sea!
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 12:04 PM
You can get baby baths very cheaply in Ikea . They are just the thing for bathing a dogs feet . Just get him to stand in lukewarm salt water
gemma riley
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Ive always used the cheap plastic containers you get from takeaways. I fill them up and get the dog to walk into it and then make them stand and fill their face with treats LOL
fetchmyslippers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks guys. I'm getting the hang of it now, using a small bucket and doing one paw at a time.

I got our old baby bath out and tried it for size, but Rocky is so big he doesn't fit ! He's a big chunky lad from show stock, but as soft as anything.

The other day I took him to the beach (Portobello) for the first time since he joined our family, and he was a VERY happy doggy !
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Have you considered one of those paw plungers? You can fill it with your solution, put his paw in, work it up and down and hey presto foot bathed!
Becky
nanny ogg
New Member!
Female 

16-05-2009, 11:46 AM
I have to soak my dogs paws in salt water,I do it in my bath.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Take him to the beach...