View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-09-2008, 06:53 PM

H the plant in the middle is a ceanothus not been particularly well looked after mind you and the fence is 8ft including trellis. so that plant is about 18ft tall the plant on it's left is a red robin. planted at the same time. As you can see below lots of plants will grow under them. Also with the red robin it has quite large leaves so if you use a hedge trimmer it chops the leaves in half as it cuts it. so for best effect hand pruning is the way to go.

Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Surely you don't mean that big TREE in the middle there Trouble???? Do you mean the small bush below the tree perhaps?? I do like that red robin, and quite honestly, it looks ideal for what I'm trying to achieve! If you DO mean that tree in the middle, then that's far too big, and it's definitely not what I'm looking for! Can't thank you enough for posting those pics up, it's given me a good idea of what the red robin can grow to, and I think my decision is made now! (Thank God, coz my stomach is aching through laughing so much in here today!!! ) Thanks for your help, just great!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Yeah that huge great tree in the middle is a ceanothus bush and I must admit I purposely grew it that big to hide next doors hideous shed and greenhouse. Now I've got to pay a bit of attention to fleshing out the lower part of it, but it seems to be working.
The red robin is lovely when it gets all it's new red growth. Pictures of fully grown ones do help a bit don't they. You're welcome H
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Yeah that huge great tree in the middle is a ceanothus bush and I must admit I purposely grew it that big to hide next doors hideous shed and greenhouse. Now I've got to pay a bit of attention to fleshing out the lower part of it, but it seems to be working.
The red robin is lovely when it gets all it's new red growth. Pictures of fully grown ones do help a bit don't they. You're welcome H

Most certainly! I now see they will grow tall enough and wide enough to suit my needs, but I think I'm going to need about 6 of them at least - unfortunately at £80 a throw! Never mind, once it's done it's done. Thanks again.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5