Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Lol Becky!

Well, Chris has just sent me an e-mail, and we're on first name terms now dontcha know!!!! He's been telling me I ought to look at all the pansys on their website!!! Tcht, sorry Jen!!!! and then he ends with "Anyway Helen, we have a dry spell here, so I has better tackle the lawn and get back to the garden!" He's a bit familiar isn't he when we haven't even met yet!!!! The thing is, he never answered my blooming question as to how big his shrub is going to grow!!!! I'm going to have to mail him back now then!!!

If he starts having a conversation with ME, we might end up married off by the end of the afternoon the way I rabbit on!!!! OR, he might end up taking his valium intravenously! Lol!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Lmao

Now, is this Chris the one in Nippy's pic? or is this Chris a Christina?

...... and I can't believe you managed to get the word 'tackle' into this thread too!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 12:50 PM
PMSL here!!!!

Well, I'm now dealing with Gemma for some strange reason, Chris has left the frame (couldn't have something to do with your e-mail could it Becky???? ). Anyways, she was very nice, explained it all, and says they will be just perfect to replace leylandi trees and they can supply them 7ft tall, and they will grow another 2ft in a year, so that's just brilliant! I like fast growing ones!!!!!!!! Dooooooooon't!!!!!

I have to order them now though coz they're going like hot cakes (as you would expect at £8o a throw?????!!! )Not! But I will, just in case she's telling the truth!!! I think I need 5 of them to do the job properly to start me off with a proper screen. I can't be seen out on the front lawn playing with Georgie in my jim jams at only 5pm can I now!!!!!

Oh thanks for the laugh and I still got the job done! 3 weeks' time then!
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 12:54 PM
lol dont have any big bushes build a wall lol then you wont have to worry about any gaps in the bush people wont be able to see thro
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 03:26 PM
No Jean, I already have a 6ft. fence, but it's the bit above I have to cover up!!! There is a pub/restaurant across the road, and then it all goes uphill (makes a change for me, it's usually all downhill!!!)on lovely big fields which I want to be able to see, so I need to cover about 15ft. in all, which will just leave me with the view of the fields and block out that pub!

I think I'll post pics up and show you what I mean

This is 20 years ago! Notice the view above the trees?

and this is NOW, with the gap that ruins our view, so they've got to go!

Quite honestly, I'm now thinking of going back to a type of fir tree, but a slow growing one??

I might send the pics to the garden centre coz they've e-mailed me back twice now with lots more information saying the Red Robin would be ideal, but I don't know if they're going to do the job I want with the height somehow?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-09-2008, 03:35 PM
I've got a photinia at the end of my garden, It's about 11-12ft tall but it's fairly open. I planted it about 10 years ago as a little twig and it now looks quite treelike but unlike conifers if you prune it lower down it will put out new growth whereas conifers just stay bare. I also have a ceanothus which is taller and much denser in growth that also puts out lots of new shoots lower down where I chopped it off to let some light into the plants below. They're both evergreen the photina is planted for its leaf colour and the ceanothus for it's copious blue flowers. Also you can plant other things underneath them to give more colour unlike conifers that kill everything else off.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks for that Trouble. I will look up on those ceanothus, they sound a bit denser? I've e-mailed the girl back with those two pictures and ask for her opinion. I might go for a lighter coloured fir type tree which is slow growing and dense at the bottom. If I had looked after these properly in the 20 years maybe I could have made a good hedge out of these, but hey ho, I was far too busy at the time and they only got a few cuts across the top over those years!

This is the hedge the other side of the garden and I want something as big and thick as this in the years to come! It needs cutting but it's just a fantastic hedge, been well looked after too!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 05:12 PM
If you go for a ceonothus make sure you get the right one as some only grow two feet and others are much bigger..... don't know that I've ever seen one big enough for your gap though.... if you know what I mean.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Now don't start Becky, we've managed to get on a more serious note ever since your disappearance!!!!!! I'm now dealing with Steve, coz Gemma has desserted me, just like Chris did, and at this rate I will work my way through the whole of their staff!!!!!

He reckons the Red Robin will be just the job, and he's got the two pics I first posted. He says my leylandi's look "awful" How very dare he!!! Then he started rabbiting on about when I plant the Red Robins I will have to look after them and keep them trimmed up to end up with the thick hedge I am wanting. So I showed him the picture of my lovely big thick hedge (stop it!!!!!! )just to let him know that I DO know how to look after things when I have to!

Hopefully, he will get back to me tomorrow, or maybe some other member of their staff will! Word travels fast doesn't it, they MUST have heard that H is a complete nightmare to deal with, so they keep passing me on like that buck that gets passed on!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 05:26 PM

I go out for the afternoon and when I get back this thread is still going
My hubby has just come in to find out what all my laughing is about. He ended up laughing just as much
Becki what is the email address? I would love to tell them of the fun we have had
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >