Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 10:40 AM

Anyone got the Red Robbin bush in their garden

I've decided to have my conifer trees along the front fenceline taken out and start again, coz the gap at the bottom is where I want the privacy, coz they're so tall, they're actually blocking out a great view of the countryside!

Now, I'm either wanting to plant some more, but starting at 8ft high, OR, Dave reckons another hedge like we've got all along the side, but that's taken 10 years to get thick and 12ft high so I'm now thinking about putting in loads of that Red Robin shrubbery and wondered if anybody's got some? I would like to know if it's a quick grower, how tall it grows and whether it bushes out a lot, so I can calculate how many plants I need to get?? I like it coz it turns a lovely red shade all winter, and that will look quite nice with all my Japanese theme in the garden with everything else turning red in autumn?

Thanks for any info then!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Ooeer, never heard of that one, but knowing you it will suit and be stylish.

Be nice to see piccies, becuse I thought you were going to post a piccie of a bush with lots of robins in it!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 10:50 AM
That's why I thought I should insert the word "bush" somewhere!

I've found a site where they do quite big ones, so I'll probably go for the £80 odd quid version to give us instant privacy coz of the 6ft fence. I need it to grow to 10ft to give me the view I want over the top and hide the blooming pub car park!!!

http://shop.shrubsdirect.com/acatalo...a-Hedging.html

It's quite stylish isn't it, nice and colourful for a hedge too?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 10:53 AM
They do look lovely. My neighbour's got one.
Is the bloke included in the £80?
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Oooeer missus, this thread already contains 'big ones', 'blokes' and a 'bush' and is in danger of turning into a Carry On!
'Ooo, what a lovely pear!
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Nice bush H Loads of gardens around me have these,they seem to grow more tree like though and not so much bushy xxxxxxxxx
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Yes i have one!

They are usually lovely, but can't give you any info on how big it will grow etc because i put mine in the wrong place. I used it to fill a gap in the hedge and it has never really filled out and is having a hard time sprouting up as well. It's filling the gap in the hedge nicely though!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Is this a Photinia ? We have 3 of these.

Escallonia

This is an super evergreen shrub with small, dark green glossy leaves and masses of bright flowers from June to October. It is suitable for most soils and situations and is particularly well suited to coastal situations but is not shade tolerant and does not like extremely cold positions. It is relatively fast growing at approx 30/45cm p.a. It should be pruned for shape after flowering.
Our pink and red varieties have very small leaves - the white variety has larger, darker green leaves.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Trixybird View Post
Is this a Photinia ?
Yep - those are they.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Oooeer missus, this thread already contains 'big ones', 'blokes' and a 'bush' and is in danger of turning into a Carry On!
'Ooo, what a lovely pear!
Trust you Becks
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »