Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Well there I was preparing Dave's tea, he likes corned beef, and I thought, hmmmm, this is nice and soft and it's protein, so they've had corned beef and they love it!! Poor Dave, he's dipped out yet again!!!!

I hope they come tomorrow though, and I'm going to put in another order mid-week so this doesn't happen again!

I'll try and get some pics of them all sitting there in a row like they do waiting for their meal I hope they don't want to move in!!!!
Poor old Dave. What have you fed him instead
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Raisins are very good and easier to get...problem is the babes won't forget and will be back when they are grown!!
Mary
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 06:15 PM
If Dave has dipped out again, how much of the corned beef have you fed the birds
They love suet, do you have any of that? I was told that you need to soak raisins before feeding them to the birds. Having said that I give ours unsoaked currants
I have read that finely grated cheese is good too.
Good luck and do your best to get a piccie
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
Raisins are very good and easier to get...problem is the babes won't forget and will be back when they are grown!!
Mary
Ooooh Dave has some nuts and raisins!!!!! So that's no tea, and now no snack time for him tonight!!!!

No, he had chicken Jackie, although the birds had some of that too earlier on this afternoon!

Thanks Jenny, I'll have a look in the cupboard, but I thought the fat was bad for the babies? I could put one of the coconut shells of fat on the ground I suppose? After I've raided Dave's snack box that is!!!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Lol
My hubby always reckons the adult bird will only feed the babies what is good for them. Just as human mummies wouldn't give their babes anything unsuitable birdie mummies are the same
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Yes but she's stopped feeding these, she's left it to me now!!!! She's only feeding another one down the bottom of the front garden, she isn't bothering now with these, that's why I'm in big trouble!!!!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Now you know what I'm going to say don't you?

Yes, I too have had this problem with baby blackbirds lol
Sometimes they just end up getting too tame as my Pickles found out......

(I've posted this pic before but have a scanner now so it's better quality).

This baby btw, was my little blackbird that I raised from when she had hardly any feathers. I used to go hunting, well digging, for worms everyday. She also had cat or dog food. I'd be careful with the raisins, just make sure they are washed ones. She was never posh enough to have mealworms bought for her.
melzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Lol
My hubby always reckons the adult bird will only feed the babies what is good for them. Just as human mummies wouldn't give their babes anything unsuitable birdie mummies are the same
birdie mummies
melzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2008, 09:54 PM
aw so cute
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2008, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Now you know what I'm going to say don't you?

Yes, I too have had this problem with baby blackbirds lol
Sometimes they just end up getting too tame as my Pickles found out......

(I've posted this pic before but have a scanner now so it's better quality).

This baby btw, was my little blackbird that I raised from when she had hardly any feathers. I used to go hunting, well digging, for worms everyday. She also had cat or dog food. I'd be careful with the raisins, just make sure they are washed ones. She was never posh enough to have mealworms bought for her.
Lol Becky, I was actually thinking of digging some up myself too!!!! Then I thought how silly I was even thinking that!!! I'm on a mission this morning, I'm going to go to 3 different fishing tackle shops and see what they've got, coz it's quite breaking my heart seeing them like that out there in the rain with nothing to eat! I soaked a box of mixed fruit last night, and father blackbird has taken a lot of them off to the nest, so maybe they'll be ok for these young ones, but they're really missing their cordon bleau menu of live mealworms! Lovely picture there Becky, and somehow I just KNEW you'd have experience of this!!
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >