Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2007, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Baz and I tried to emigrate to Canada in 1999. We had money, a reasonable knowledge of French and both in good health. The immigration office stated that we could only get into Canada if we were willing to do a job that no Canadian would do.....
I'm still very confused at that answer, as surely there's no such thing?
I had the same thing in the 80's I wanted to live in Australia, I went out there on a years working visa, got a good job that I loved - they wrote a letter to immigration stating the would employ me on a permanent basis - I had an uncle who worked for the immigration Department! And still there reply was It was a job that an Australian citizen could do and that I was breaking the rules of my visa by applying whilst I was still in the country!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
..... and that happens in the UK???
Yes, you're absolutely correct but it's how often it happens. I guess I'm a bit biased having suffered with the cowboy builder (Who we've now got rid off) At the moment I'm struggling to think of any local supplier who I would recommend.

When in England I would usually be happy to recommend 8 out of 10 suppliers. Of course the two who were bad were very bad and unfortunately it's those that we tend to remember.
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Sweep, see my post above, it may well be beautiful but will that make the quality of goods the same as UK, will that make tradesman do a fair days work, follow the best standards, complete the work on time, provide you with all the information you need before starting work. Think about it
WE have lived abroad before, in Belgium, for 2 years - we wont be making a snap desision believe me............but appreciate what you have said
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5