View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2007, 06:25 PM
My OH wants to more to France. we went on Holiday there 3 years ago in the Loire Valley it was gorgeous, we stay in a house by Luze, then travelled up to Le Man.
britishbandit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
Hi Brittish Bandit,
Will be over in Mississauga in Oct will give you a wave as i land

Jeanette
Cool! Although I likely won't be able to see you LOL, Mississauga is about 4 hours away from me. What plans do you have while you're here? Visiting family, travelling and touring? You also picked a good time to come, missing the summer heat wave! We've had temps in the 100's most of the summer, and it's super humid! Ugh. But October the weather is usually really nice.
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by shaza View Post
We moved to Spain a few years back now - 5 I think There are a lot of things I miss, mostly family and friends! I go through stages where I hate it here, but usually a trip back convinces me otherwise

My parents always say that when they visit Shaza

I would move out there in a heartbeat if only i had the money
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2007, 07:11 PM
yeah france
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Well I did the opposite to BritishBandit and moved the opposite way 15 years ago. Canada is still my home in my mind though! OH would like to retire back over there (in quite a few years time LOL). Just have to wait and see
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by shaza View Post
I go through stages where I hate it here, but usually a trip back convinces me otherwise
We moved to Czechland three years ago (Eastern Europe to save you all wondering where the heck that is )

Just like Shaza I have many times regreted the move. I swear I'll never moan about a British builder, plumber, sparks, chippy, or any tradesman ever again

If you're thinking of moving to somewhere you've been to on holiday, please think again, the difference between being on holiday and actually living permanently is enormous and can be very demoralising

My trips to UK are like a breath of fresh air.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
but love Loire Valley, stayed there last year on Holiday, so beautiful
Sweep, see my post above, it may well be beautiful but will that make the quality of goods the same as UK, will that make tradesman do a fair days work, follow the best standards, complete the work on time, provide you with all the information you need before starting work. Think about it
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2007, 10:37 PM
will that make the quality of goods the same as UK, will that make tradesman do a fair days work, follow the best standards, complete the work on time, provide you with all the information you need before starting work.
..... and that happens in the UK???
spot
Dogsey Veteran

05-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Interesting thread and many different thoughts on it. Having lived and worked in Egypt, Bahamas and the Caymans before coming home I would repeat what Losos says, its all great while you are on holiday but can be very different when working/living abroad, not that I would change what I did for the world, but Deccy depending on where you go boy it makes the UK sometimes seem like utopia.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2007, 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
Oh yes our plans were to retire to Canada as most of my family live there, but the only way we can do it at "our age" is to buy a business there and employ at least 5 people,despite the fact we would be going with quite a lot of money and able to buy a house cash,and neither of us have any health problems,Cant go for family sponsorship as they are cousins. Looks like its plan B buy a house in Leicestershire.

Jeanette
Baz and I tried to emigrate to Canada in 1999. We had money, a reasonable knowledge of French and both in good health. The immigration office stated that we could only get into Canada if we were willing to do a job that no Canadian would do.....
I'm still very confused at that answer, as surely there's no such thing?

This country gets worse IMO, with crime on the rise along with taxes and poor treatment of victims. I used to think I would leave in an instant, but if money were no object, I now think I would stay right here - live locally, but in a huge house with some land, so I could keep lots of animals.

I think our level of private health care and vet care is second to none. It really is enough to make me stay
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >