View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 11:18 AM
When I was 19 I was ready to emigrate to Canada, but got engaged instead (big mistake!) and stayed here, I sooooo wish I'd taken the other path in life for me in Canada.

A year ago, we were ready to up sticks and move to France, but then Mum arrived from Spain, so looks like we'll be staying put yet again!

One day, when we're old and grey we'll try and get to Canada again, coz o/h says that's the only place now he would go. I like New Zealand too, but yet again that's a closed shop nowadays. Like RookGeordie we could afford to buy outright and have cash, and my husband is a qualified vehicle fitter, so there just might be a chance for us somehow? I definitely don't want to stay in the UK, anywhere's better as far as I'm concerned, I really hate everything about it now!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 11:22 AM
If Scotland is classed as another country I am moving there in two weeks

The only place I have ever wanted to be was the Highlands, and hopefully we will buy our own farm up there within the next 5-10 years.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I like New Zealand too, but yet again that's a closed shop nowadays.
Take my word for it, New Zealand hasnt ever been anything but a closed shop. I was bought uo there, my half-sisters and dad live there, but because my mum bought us back to the UK, where i was born, i cant get residency.
amethystbelle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-09-2007, 12:18 PM
I'd love to live in Scotland up on the Isle of Skye and we have plans to move there in the next few years all being well
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Take my word for it, New Zealand hasnt ever been anything but a closed shop. I was bought uo there, my half-sisters and dad live there, but because my mum bought us back to the UK, where i was born, i cant get residency.
Not quite I don't think??? I was checking it all out a year or so ago, and they were crying out for vehicle mechanics at the time and would even pay your fare and house you if you were a qualified mechanic, but I just couldn't talk Dave into it at the time. There was a stipulation about being over 50, but there was also a stipulation about having a certain amount of cash which we would have. Like I say, that was over a year ago now, so things might have changed. A friend of mine up the road lived there for many years and one day she is going to show me all her video's, now that's gonna make me want to go!!!!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Not quite I don't think??? I was checking it all out a year or so ago, and they were crying out for vehicle mechanics at the time and would even pay your fare and house you if you were a qualified mechanic, but I just couldn't talk Dave into it at the time. There was a stipulation about being over 50, but there was also a stipulation about having a certain amount of cash which we would have. Like I say, that was over a year ago now, so things might have changed. A friend of mine up the road lived there for many years and one day she is going to show me all her video's, now that's gonna make me want to go!!!!
thats what i was actually referring to....its called a points system. theyve always had it. you will only get in if you have the job they want *that year*. unless you have loads money. thats how i got to NZ, they wanted brickies in the 70's. my dad is a brickie. that is the closed shop.

they did experiment with a business visa a few years back....whereby you could buy a franchise business approved by the government...even then you only got 2 years provisionally. you can be chucked out if economic demands/skills change.

the restrictions have actually got tougher over the years. for example, as i was bought up in NZ, i had automatic right to apply for and receive permanent residency, even when my mum bought us back to the UK.
we moved back 1980. however, they scrubbed this for the likes of me in 1986 unless i applied for before a certain deadline. we didnt know, i missed my chance.

Right Wing Thatcherite Free Trade parties like ACT call for looser rules to enlarge the economy thru population increase, but many parties oppose, especially the centre party New Zealand First. And the Greens

But Denmark is easy, if you are interested
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Never fancied Denmark for some reason Wouldn't even want to go there on holiday either!

When you think about it, we're all human beings living on this Planet Earth, so how come they have the right to say who can live where????? Especially if you're qualified in a trade, have plenty of money, and are not old and decrepid and likely to cost them money with their health system??? I mean, why can't we just go and live where the h*ll we like really!! After all, people come here and do it don't they, so why can't I just go and live where I fancy then???!!! Doesn't seem right to me that they can demand this and that from us or close their entry to us!! Grrrr.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 05:52 PM
my sentiments exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeanette
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Never fancied Denmark for some reason Wouldn't even want to go there on holiday either!
Im doing it now, i definitely dont recommend!
emma-rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-09-2007, 03:37 PM
I took the plunge to move to France in 2001. Although the change was hard at first I could never consider moving back to the UK. I love the way of life here and for me now it really is 'home'.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >