Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

06-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
that everyone will have to throw their televisions away in a couple of years and get special digital ones? Why can't they just modify the ones we have?
NO.

All you need to get is a digi-box that decodes the digital signal into one that your old TV can use
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Yep-like Azz said-any tv will carry on receiving broadcasts provided it has a set top box connected.

But the BBC want to increase the tv licence to approximately £180 in less than 5 years to fund their digital channels and this is outrageous.The beeb to me does not represent good value considering i may watch 2 of their programs per week max so to me-its wasted money.I already subscribe to NTL cable which costs me £48 a month,but for this i get all the sports and movie channels plus numerous other channels-then i have to pay the bbc.

The beeb should be self funding by either subscriptions or advertisments because i for one do not like paying for something i do not use.Once the whole UK is switched over to digital-there really is no excuse why people shouldnt have the option NOT to receive BBC signals.A digital set top box can be programmed to block BBC channels,but everytime licence fee is mentioned in the commons-the beeb start squeeling poverty.

The licence fee is an old system which desperately needs updating.
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-06-2006, 06:57 PM
i dont know the rules in england but i realy cant see that you have to sell you Tv and buy a new on that would be a bit sad if you had to do that it realy has nothing to do with the Tv it is the reciever what is important i have an old tv and have got digital sky steve what is a licence fee we dont have it yet in Spain
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by eRaze
NO.

All you need to get is a digi-box that decodes the digital signal into one that your old TV can use

Well I have a Philips Freeview topset box at the minute which gets digital telly mostly for my 5 year old who loves cbeebies so do you think this will be ample
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
Yep-like Azz said-any tv will carry on receiving broadcasts provided it has a set top box connected.

But the BBC want to increase the tv licence to approximately £180 in less than 5 years to fund their digital channels and this is outrageous.The beeb to me does not represent good value considering i may watch 2 of their programs per week max so to me-its wasted money.I already subscribe to NTL cable which costs me £48 a month,but for this i get all the sports and movie channels plus numerous other channels-then i have to pay the bbc.

The beeb should be self funding by either subscriptions or advertisments because i for one do not like paying for something i do not use.Once the whole UK is switched over to digital-there really is no excuse why people shouldnt have the option NOT to receive BBC signals.A digital set top box can be programmed to block BBC channels,but everytime licence fee is mentioned in the commons-the beeb start squeeling poverty.

The licence fee is an old system which desperately needs updating.

Yes entirely agree Steve - I would live without the beeb - I think there is only 1 programme I watch on there and I could live without it for £130 a year or more. My daughter watches the cbeebies channel but I would be only to glad to get rid of this cos it drives me mad
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Fred
i dont know the rules in england but i realy cant see that you have to sell you Tv and buy a new on that would be a bit sad if you had to do that it realy has nothing to do with the Tv it is the reciever what is important i have an old tv and have got digital sky steve what is a licence fee we dont have it yet in Spain
The licence fee Fred is another taxation that the goverment bestow upon us and which funds the BBC-currently costs each household £131.50 per year,but they wanna raise it to £180.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
The licence fee Fred is another taxation that the goverment bestow upon us and which funds the BBC-currently costs each household £131.50 per year,but they wanna raise it to £180.

Hey mine is £126.50 - is it cheaper for northerners then ?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Hey mine is £126.50 - is it cheaper for northerners then ?
My licence started in April this year Foxy so presume mine includes the yearly price hike so yours should be the same whe renewed.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5