05-11-2010, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
....just wanted to send you a hug Hevvur xx
Aww, thanks Mini
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Unless I find a new job I will be unemployed at christmas so trying to make some things for people as well as buying for them....
My mum is getting a crochet blanket, my gran a glasses case, going to make a hat for my sister and dad I think, made a blanket for my cousin (it was supposed to be a present for when she was born-christmas day last year, but has taken me ages so it's now a 1st birthday present! )

I did wheat bags (to heat in the microwave) last year, slippers and a blanket for my sister (see below).

Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Tegs_mum View Post
Unless I find a new job I will be unemployed at christmas so trying to make some things for people as well as buying for them....
My mum is getting a crochet blanket, my gran a glasses case, going to make a hat for my sister and dad I think, made a blanket for my cousin (it was supposed to be a present for when she was born-christmas day last year, but has taken me ages so it's now a 1st birthday present! )

I did wheat bags (to heat in the microwave) last year, slippers and a blanket for my sister (see below).

Love the blanket I love to crochet - sadly I'm not very good at it, I seem to lose or gain stitches along the way

Funny about wheat bags - my manager at work has one for her hand (she's recently had an op) & I keep moaning about how it smells of porridge & the cover isn't removable so we did a little google search & found that you can make them with rice, so I have a bag of rice here ready to make her one tommorrow just to fit over her hand & I'm going to use lavender & mint to scent it (that's what they use at the dog groomers & it smells lush)
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
Love the blanket I love to crochet - sadly I'm not very good at it, I seem to lose or gain stitches along the way

Funny about wheat bags - my manager at work has one for her hand (she's recently had an op) & I keep moaning about how it smells of porridge & the cover isn't removable so we did a little google search & found that you can make them with rice, so I have a bag of rice here ready to make her one tommorrow just to fit over her hand & I'm going to use lavender & mint to scent it (that's what they use at the dog groomers & it smells lush)
Thank you!
I can't knit, my mum tried to teach me but I lose stitches, I taught myself crochet from books and I love it.
My hot bags were actually made from rice! Scented with lavender. I put the rice in a plastic box with the lavender scent for a couple of days to really get the smell in!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Thank you!
I can't knit, my mum tried to teach me but I lose stitches, I taught myself crochet from books and I love it.
My hot bags were actually made from rice! Scented with lavender. I put the rice in a plastic box with the lavender scent for a couple of days to really get the smell in!
Did you use ordinary long grain rice? I keep wondering if it's going to cook or explode when it's in the microwave
You must have read my mind I was wondering how to actually do the scenting so thanks! I won't be able to leave it for a few days as she's expecting it on her desk (or hand) on Monday morning I have the lavender oil but not the mint yet, going to get the mint tomorrow.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
Did you use ordinary long grain rice? I keep wondering if it's going to cook or explode when it's in the microwave
You must have read my mind I was wondering how to actually do the scenting so thanks! I won't be able to leave it for a few days as she's expecting it on her desk (or hand) on Monday morning I have the lavender oil but not the mint yet, going to get the mint tomorrow.
I used the cheapest rice I could get from Tesco!
Think it was long grain but I'm not sure.
The thing I read about using rice was not to overheat it as then it gets damp then can go funny aparently.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 08:33 PM
I used the cheapest rice I could get from Tesco!
Think it was long grain but I'm not sure.
The thing I read about using rice was not to overheat it as then it gets damp then can go funny aparently.
Thanks - well I made it this morning & she collected it at lunchtime so I didn't even get time to take a pic!!
I did give it a try myself & noticed you don't need to heat for too long! (My hand went bright red with the heat!!)I did the rice packages separate using calico fabric so they fit into pouches I made in the fleece mitt (this way they can be removed & the mitt can be washed)
It basically looked like a large oven mitt/golf club cover, but she was really pleased with it (and I embroidered her name & a little message on for a laugh )
I used the cheapest rice basics long grain - though when I was filled the bags with my home made funnel - I managed to spill a load all over the kitchen floor
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 06:17 AM
Wow, you're blanket looks amazing, I used to knit - now I drop stitches left right and centre - not so good now.

For the tree last year, me and my sister spray painted a few pinecones, covered them in glitter and hung them on the tree.

As for me, I have no job either so christmas is cancelled for me although I could make cakes - I'm quite the hand at baking - hmmm or just invite everyone round for dinner

Last year I did family members a portrait of their pets if they had one and also got them a few smellies (I had a lot of family being mine and my OH's first christmas together) And since it was my 18th 4 weeks before and my circle of friends have never had a photo of us all looking dressed up (the only other group photo was when we went camping and were soaked to the eyeballs in mud ) so they got that printed off and I bought a lovely frame for each picture.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-11-2010, 08:04 AM
I usually make my own christmas cakes, mince pies and sausage rolls and sometimes shortbread. I have done a hamper of these goodies for a friend for the past few years as she works full time and doesn't get time to bake.

The whole family love them and have to fight her OH for the christmas cake.

I am going to make a necklace or some earrings or both for my sister and maybe a necklace for my mum. I made a necklace for a colleague of Gordens when he left work and fixed a very expensive necklace for another colleague of his and they were both impressed.
CovetKaty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-11-2010, 07:44 PM
I've got round to so far making Jars of Apple Chutney and Picalilli. I've still got to make gingerbread cookies, apple and blackcurrant jam and Lemon curd. Aswell as making sweety vodka for my friends who have finally all picked their favourite hard sweets for me to make it with.
Also making a big batch of Malibu Coconut Chocolate Truffles and lots of juices for taking to people's houses over christmas.

Not even started planning my Xmas decorations/Theme of it all OOOR the fact that I'm doing Boxing Day lunch for 7 people! Eek *feels the need for a long To-Do list*
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >