Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Horrific, but I have to say, trying to get your phone out of your pocket whilst driving is just as dangerous!
You would have to have a very long arm , if you were driving and taking a picture out of the passenger window
dreamaday
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Thats why I said the OH took it.
I wouldnt/couldnt have taken pic if i was on my own. The only reason I went for my phone initially was because its better and faster to get to cam mode than the hubbys and would have given it to him to use anyway!
As it was , he was having the same idea, we werent sure whether to report the guy or not!
I had just watched the dog bounce around in the back and stand up the back of the cab, I was pretty horrified and concerned how vulnerable the dog looked.
I know it goes on in the states, and on farmland here, but first time i've seen it here on a main road. The dog didnt exactly look like it was used to it either!
I posted in a rush so prob didnt make myself very clear!
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2010, 12:19 PM
I have to say that the worst reckless thing I saw with a dog involved a young Boxer pup who lived up the road from us; he was about 6 months old and the owner had 2 YTs too. We all lived on a Nature Reserve which was private roads and a residential park for logcabins and Park homes and this woman was often seen walking her dog.... well she drove around with the driver's window open and the dog's leadtied to the wing mirror and the Boxer pup running alongside the car - now that was bad enough and several people reported her but sadly the next day she got clever and drove out off park and onto the road, the dog got spooked by a tractor and leapt under the wheels of the car! He died instantly and the whole neighbourhood was outraged at her actions. The Police prosecuted her as did the RSPCA and she is banned from having dogs for life... sadly too late for the darling little Boxer dog . We move last May from there but apparantly no-one speaks to her as they all hate what she di and she has now moved away from what i understand!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Yes, I do. I was going to write more, but after reading the tone of some of the posts, I wont bother. Jake is very rarely in the car, but yes when he is in the car, I do allow him to. Its my choice though, and my decision to make.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 06:43 AM
No never. I absolutly cringe when I see it too as apart from the dangers of stones flying up at speed and other cars hitting them, the wind drying thier eyes can cause permanent damage to the corenea in thier eyes.
There really is no need for it and I also think its distracting to other motorists which could cause an accident in itself.
Its our resposibility to keep our pets safe and minimise risk where we can and this is one area we can quite easily.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Yes, I do. I was going to write more, but after reading the tone of some of the posts, I wont bother. Jake is very rarely in the car, but yes when he is in the car, I do allow him to. Its my choice though, and my decision to make.
If Jake has his head out of the window and you have to do an emergency stop, he will get whiplash and possibly even break his neck. Does that not bother you?
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
If Jake has his head out of the window and you have to do an emergency stop, he will get whiplash and possibly even break his neck. Does that not bother you?
If you had to do an emergency stop then I'm fairly sure that even strapped in/crated they could still do significant damage to themselves from the motion of an emergency stop.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

06-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
that may be so, and the consequences of the action will be on your decision to allow jake to be free /head out the window in the car.

Mind, if you are caught allowing this by the police, they may take a different attitude to your actions.

Your decision, your choice, but sadly when accidents happen with cars, its not only you and yours that get injured , sometimes you (through your neglect) injure others, and I am sure (again) the police wont see it as you do!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

06-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
If you had to do an emergency stop then I'm fairly sure that even strapped in/crated they could still do significant damage to themselves from the motion of an emergency stop.
Like break their neck, or yours, or the distraction may cause you to injure/kill an innocent bystander.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Lying down, strapped the damage would be minor compared to a quick slam of the neck into the side of the window.

Trust me, when I worked at VW UK we went on all kinds of vehicle safety courses and I know how bad it can be. IT was during the time of child seat safety and they showed an image of a child in the back without a seatbelt on. One (dummy) went straight through the window (in it's seat) and the other went into the back of the driver, killing the mother instantly. A dog would do the same (if un-strapped).

If strapped but with it's head out of the window it would fly forward with such a force it would prob break it's neck on the side of the car. Basically the rule is, the further distance the body has to travel, the greater chance of serious damage as the greater the force of impact, due to journey travelled.
Page 8 of 49 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »