Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 09:52 AM

Really stupid cooking question

Ok, now don't laugh but I'm about to ask a really stupid cooking question!!

I'm really fancying jacket potatoes for my tea tonight but must admit I've never cooked jacket spuds before. Is there any set technique? How long should I cook them for and at what temp for a fan assisted electric oven?

And what's your favourite filling whilst we're thinking about it? I'm having tuna Mayo and chives in mine tonight.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 09:56 AM
It's usually a lowish heat for about an hour. I can't remember the temp though. I always had to look it up on Delia or something lol!
Becky
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Hi Esmed - i usually scrub the potatoes, dry them, prick them all over with a fork and heat them in the microwave for about 10 minutes. Then i wrap in foil and cook them for around half an hour on 200 degrees. Keep checking them though and stick a knife in them to check they are soft enough.

Tuna and coleslaw is nice
Beans and cheese
Chilli/curry
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 10:04 AM
I cheat and start mine off in the microwave, then stick them in the oven for 20-30 mins at 200*c.

My favorite filling is either cheese an coleslaw or chicken/sweetcorn and mayo yum. I have a feeling it is jacket spuds for us tonight
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-06-2009, 10:05 AM
The longer you cook on the lower the heart the better they are,

Cant give you a temperature gage , as I cook in an aga...

But I wash , prick and wrap in foil , then cook for about 1hr or longer.

You can tell they are cooked by feeling them., if they go squash they are cooked.

Fillings

Tuna and mayo,

Beans and chees

Chilli

Bacon , and cheese
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 10:42 AM
I usually wash and prick mine with a fork and put in the micro for about 20 mins (that's four good size potatoes). Then in the oven (I don't use foil as I like crispy skins) for about 20 mins on 180 (I have fan assisted oven). Mine are usually lovely and soft inside, crispy but not hard skins! We usually have jackets with butter/cheese served with quiche and Heinz beans *I'm feeling hungry now - early lunch I think*
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 10:46 AM
I cheat with the microwave too but they must be finished in the oven, not completely micro'ed.
I love coleslaw in mine or beans.

I have just made a chicken pie for tonight but I think it will keep in the fridge til tomorrow......I'm having jacket spuds tonight
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Cheers for all the tips guys, I feel a lot less stupid now!! Maybe tomorrow I'll ask about egg boiling?!? LOL!

We're working in the garden tonight so I want something I can put in the oven for an hour and not worry bout too much but also something snacky so jackets seemed the perfect option!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Ah now egg poaching, they are perfectly cooked by the time the toast is done in the toaster lol!
Becky
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 11:32 AM
I prick the potatoes with a fork, rub with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Preheat the oven to 200c, bake for about 45 mins, then turn over and check after about 30 mins.

I think they're nicer done in the oven

Becky, I love poached eggs too - had one yesterday!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »