Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-08-2012, 08:26 AM

Epilepsy- long term effects?

My Kooikerhondje has suffered with epilepsy for 3 of his 4 years, and I was wondering what damage these fits do over time. I have heard that each time they have a seizure they become more susceptible to the next one, and also heard that they lose some brain cells ever time. Anyone know if this is true? My dog isn't the brightest at the best of times, so can ill afford to lose any more brainpower! Also wondering if anyone has had an epi dog die during a fit?
Many thanks!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Firstly, I'm sorry hear about your dog - it's a horrible condition. I've heard it too that each seizure can damage their brain a little, which is why it is important to get them onto medication as soon as possible. I assume your dog is already on medication - is he still having seizures?

I'm 'lucky' in that my dog hasn't had a seizure since he started on epiphen nearly three years ago and they weren't bad ones anyway - only having four that I was aware of.

I know of dogs being pts because the vet couldn't bring them out of a really bad seizure.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 02:32 PM
It is supposedly fact that each seizure causes damage to brain cells.

Just to put your mind at rest a little, my son has had epilepsy since he was 9 years old and he's now 42 and, terrible as the seizures are, there is no noticeable lessening of brain function so far. Epilepsy in dogs is very similar to epilepsy in humans. Unfortunately, my son reacts very badly to medication so his seizures are uncontrolled, but, so far he does OK.

Yes, it's true that there are dogs that have failed to come out of a seizure, same as it is again true for humans. Much depends on the severity of the condition and how well it is controlled.
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Many thanks for your stories, good to have support from those who are experiencing the same, although sad to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing epilepsy. My dog has been taking 60 mg of Epiphen twice a day for the last 3 years, and still suffers seizures of similar frequency,( every 2-5 weeks), but they are less violent than before medication. I would like him to have the dose increased as he empties his anal glands every time- NOT a good thing from my perspective! I've also heard that there's an alternative to Epiphen, but again, my vet is against it. Maybe a second opinion is needed...
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by DeeBuzzby View Post
My dog has been taking 60 mg of Epiphen twice a day for the last 3 years, and still suffers seizures of similar frequency,( every 2-5 weeks), but they are less violent than before medication. I would like him to have the dose increased as he empties his anal glands every time-
My dog takes 45 mg twice a day and I would like to reduce it to 30 (if only to save having to chop the tablets in half!) but, as he is only just within the therapeutic range, my vet is reluctant. He has only had seizures (to my knowledge) whilst doing agility so I may suggest that I try reducing the dosage once the season has finished and perhaps just to 30 mg in the evening to start with.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Pereg is on Phenobarbitone only and after a really bad series of clusters when she was on 50mg twice a day it was increased to 50mg three times a day, ie every 8 hours, which seems to suit her even though it does not suit me. She originally started on 25mg BID and it kept having to be increased, but at the moment her current dose seems to be OK for her.

Her levels have been well within the Pb range so we have scope to increase it should it become necessary.

DeeBuzzby - Pereg has always emptied her bladder and bowels during a Grand Mal and frequently, but luckily not always, also her anal glands.

I know what you mean Fivedogpam about having to cut the pills in half - I get the 100mg ones so have to cut them in order for her to have the three x 50mg/day, and even with a good pill cutter sometimes they are very unequal "halves".
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 08:47 PM
it would depend on the reason behind the seizures, some genetic conditions and the associated seizures do affect the brain and cause more damage, just make sure the seizures are as under control as they can be
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Thank you very much for the links smokeybear! Very informative and a great help.
poppy&bella
New Member!
Female 

10-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Hi my poppy has siezures every 3 - 4 weeks and has done For the last year, she normally has around 10 -12 over 3 - 4 days she is on 60mg. Of epifen twice a day I have been told that feeding them different feed can help but as of yet noone seems to know which feed is the best