Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sammerson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
WHY I have Malamutes........Why oh Why ???

We lived in Australia (with NO intentions of getting a dog) and hadn't owned a dog since our last rescue had died a few years previous.

Husband spotted an advert in the Freeads paper for an 'Alaskan Malamute' for $600 (about £400 then).

I REPEAT we had NO intention of getting it, but we had never heard of the name of the breed and thought it was a crossbreed, and were intrigued. We called the guy, got address and went to 'Have a Look' to see if it was a purebred that actually existed.

I'll make it brief :

We arrived and heard a dog howling behind the house, and when we looked down the side of the house, we could see a large, skinny dog, chained on about 1/2 foot of chain to a brick wall. We knocked the door, the scary looking man greeted us, pushed his 2 Staffys behind him and went to get the dog from the garden.

he brought her out and my god I could have punched him there and then, and WHY I didn't I'll never know !

The dogs ribs were poking out, she had barely any fur left on her body, she was emaciated, she was covered in bites, gashes, wounds and plenty of scars, was scared stiff and could barely walk. It was clear what she was being used for !!!

I asked to walk her, to which the man clenched his fist to the dogs face and told me to do the same if she pulled. I cringed.

I snatched the dog from the man's hands, Nodded to my husband, heart pumping, and strode toward the car and got in, my husband following.

The man stood and watched us drive away without paying for her !!! (Before anyone asks, I don't condone stealing dogs, but this dog deserved to be stolen !!)

We took her straight to the vets.

We STILL had no idea what this dog should look like, and it took us just under a year for her to recover from her ordeal (physically and mentally) and grow the glorious coat of a Malamute, so that we could see her in her full splendour.

Strangely, it was during the time she had no coat that we fell in love with her, as a breed, when we started doing research on the breed temperament and traits, looks didn't come into it and was just a bonus afterwards.

Unfortunately because of her age and a heart murmer, we couldn't bring her back with us, but she is now living a happy retirement with my parents in law in Australia.

(I do miss her )

And SHE is the reason we fell in love with Malamutes.
Malamutes are awesome dogs. I would love to have one but I just don't know how the Texas summers would suit one! Plus, I really am at my limit now.

Anyways, thanks for sharing, I LOVE hearing rescue stories. I'm huge on rescues myself and I volunteer part time at the local humane society. It's amazing what people will do to animals. Thank goodness for people like you!!!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 04:11 PM
THank you

I'm sure if the Australian heat at 50+ is fine for a Mal the Texas heat would be fine
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Malady your post made me go all tingly.
Big hugs to you for having to leave your girl but such a big pat on the back for rescuing her. x
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks A, it's appreciated
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2007, 03:30 PM
I own a border collie - because she is very much like me...nutty, lively, always wanting fun...but loving and loyal....

I also own a westie...because their good natured (most of the time) beautiful, loyal and Ive grown up with them...

Love my girls..
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2007, 08:08 PM
I don't actually have my puppy yet but hey, what's a technicality. I love Akitas and am waiting on a male puppy from Akita rescue. Two weeks to go!!!!!

I have wanted a dog since I was 2 and could say the word 'dog' but my mum is not an animal person. I don't remember the first time I saw an Akita but about 2 years ago I fell in love with the breed and have been getting as much info as possible.

I like Akitas for their intelligence, independence, power, attitude and of course, their beauty. I always stare when I see one as I think they are stunning dogs, very proud. My friends and family don't understand this obsession but humour me anyway!

This is a pic of my boy with one of his littermates. He is the one on the right

Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2007, 03:16 PM
I have always had rescues and mutts. My first was a cocker/springer she was probably the most loyal dog ever then came the little stray, we think he may have had some sort of terrier in him. Then my little bichon/lhasa who's been horribly abused and is a little bundle of fear and paranoia. and last but not least scout who is cavalier/ terrier. I am very drawn to spaniels especially ess. But I am in the process of searching for a Standard Poodle breader as I would like to train one as a duck dog. I love all dogs, but I have allergies and only long or curly coated breeds will work with my allergies.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2007, 07:59 PM
I grew up with Border Collies, and have always loved the breed for their loyalty, endless energy and their inquisitive nature.

I have to say Max is a few sandwiches short of a picnic and I certainly didn't get the brains of the litter in fact I sometimes wonder if he's fooling me that he's a BC at all but I loveh him all the same!
Schnauzerbabe
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2007, 09:27 PM
our family dogs were all border collies when I was at home except when I was 11 years old our next door neighbour bred from his bitch GSD and she had 14 puppies who she was struggling to feed so I used to go and help bottle feed as a suppliment to them and he gave me the runt of the litter as he said she wouldn't make a decent type well her name was Tina and she was beautiful we adored each other she grew large and could rest her head on the sink we had many happy years together I think she was about 10 years old when she died..
During my married life I have had a poodle x alsation named Trindy who looked like a standard apricot poodle she used to have a poodle trim but her face was that of an alsation she was funny but very lovable...
We had Honey who was a rescue labx gorgeous girl whom we had till she was 14+ she was a cruelty case very fear aggresive with strangers but never one ounce of malice to us it broke my heart when she died she was so trusting of us and devoted to all of us..
Then there now is Lexi my miniature schnauzer my darling my love I adore her she is so comical, trusting,fun, everything you could want in a dog/companion she is 3+ and I hope she is with us for many years...
Sue
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 09:45 AM
We own Border collies, have to admitt its my preference, when our old collie was near to the end of her years I agreed with hubby to get a different breed, still ended up with another border though. They are full of energy, intellegent, Soooo easy to train, and such loyal campanions. mine go everywhere with me and on or off thier leads they listen to my every word, never do I ever have to raise my voice.
Page 9 of 24 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »